Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The British accent is also great for delivering jokes.
Please sir, may we have more Black Adder?

I was scrolling through the threads of time ( circa 2009) and came upon some posts regarding the B-17 vs B-24 (B17 vs B24 vs Lanc).
Jhor9 and Erich (the old sage) had some posts about LW interceptors preferring to attack B-24's over B-17's. Could that be true or is that a myth too?

I was scrolling through the threads of time ( circa 2009) and came upon some posts regarding the B-17 vs B-24 (B17 vs B24 vs Lanc).
Jhor9 and Erich (the old sage) had some posts about LW interceptors preferring to attack B-24's over B-17's. Could that be true or is that a myth too?
Erich is well learned in Luftwaffe techniques through both his research, interviewing countless Luftwaffe pilots and personal connections.
Add to this, the fact that the B-24 had ten .50 MGs as defensive armament where the B-17 was better defended by thirteen .50 MGs and a better field of fire - the B-24's dual horizontal stabilizers were a large "blind spot".
Not a myth at all.

I framed my question incorrectly. Did LW pilots divert(?) from attacking B-17's to B-24's if formations of both were in the same vicinity?

I've read anecdotes from German pilots saying that B-24s were more susceptible to gunfire than B-17s.

If I had to take a wild guess -- since the B-24 was harder to fly in formation, their combat boxes might not have been as tight -- leading to Luftwaffe fighters attacking them instead.

Last edited:
Great link! That was not what I was expecting. I'm still a B-17 fan but point we'll taken. It also backs up the views of some of those old posts. Thanks.
The Halifax and Lancaster here a similar quirk in statistics. You were more likely to survive being shot down in a Halifax, you were less likely to be shot down in a Lancaster but for Harris you needed more Halifaxes than Lancasters to drop the same amount of bombs and he didn't know survival rates until after the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back