Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mensanot64

Recruit
Apr 14, 2024
Hi,
I bought this photo on eBay last year thinking I had a cool story but....couldn't find anything about the story on the back nor could I identify the airplane! Can someone help me out?
Anyway, the back of the photo has a handwritten note that says "This is the plane the German Colonial, his wife & child came in on & after surrendered escaping from the Russians" That is written in cursive. The other note is at the top back that says " Junkers Transport" I can see that the cursive looks different and the ink is different as well. I will assume someone else wrote the top line. Now, I searched google till my eyeballs popped out. I couldn't find one story that was even close.
Next, the type of aircraft it is. You can see it has twin rudders and a single bladed prop. I looked at both Junkers and Dornier but couldn't find a match. The closest I could find was a Junkers Dornier DO-217, or a FW-191. Neither one looks like a match. I found one Junkers that sort of looked like it but...I am at a loss. In the background of this photo, I can see the telltale image of a P-38 boom to the right of the airplane and one off in the distance. Not that any of that will help!!!
I am far from an expert on German twin engine aircraft.

Any help would be appreciated on either the aircraft ID or the story for that matter.

Thanks
WWII 2.jpg
WWII 1.jpg

Welcome to the site.

The aircraft is the Siebel Si 204D. It is possible one of these produced by Germans in the ocuppied Czechoslovakia. Many of them have been captured by the Allied troops in the Western Europe.

It is. And a p-38 in the background and i have seen it before. Now. I am not wurger but i will take a look at it. Munich Reims wurger?

Possible you hit the nail. It is quite know pic as memory serves.

Thank you!!! I searched hi and low and couldn't find it. I never heard of a Siebel before. Now that I found it on the internet, I can safely say it's a match!!!

I really appreciate it.

I wish I knew a bit more about the story of the Colonial but that might be elusive!!!

My pleasure. :)

Just a typo IMHO but a note though ... not the Colonial but the Colonel (der Oberst in German). It is the military rank in the case.

I believe that Capt "Winkle" Brown said that his unit acquired a Seibel 204 for running around and checking out German aircraft that might be recovered for RAF examination. Of course, given their mission not just any old C-45 or Anson would do for their personal transport.

Hi,
I bought this photo on eBay last year thinking I had a cool story but....couldn't find anything about the story on the back nor could I identify the airplane! Can someone help me out?
Anyway, the back of the photo has a handwritten note that says "This is the plane the German Colonial, his wife & child came in on & after surrendered escaping from the Russians" That is written in cursive. The other note is at the top back that says " Junkers Transport" I can see that the cursive looks different and the ink is different as well. I will assume someone else wrote the top line. Now, I searched google till my eyeballs popped out. I couldn't find one story that was even close.
Next, the type of aircraft it is. You can see it has twin rudders and a single bladed prop. I looked at both Junkers and Dornier but couldn't find a match. The closest I could find was a Junkers Dornier DO-217, or a FW-191. Neither one looks like a match. I found one Junkers that sort of looked like it but...I am at a loss. In the background of this photo, I can see the telltale image of a P-38 boom to the right of the airplane and one off in the distance. Not that any of that will help!!!
I am far from an expert on German twin engine aircraft.

Any help would be appreciated on either the aircraft ID or the story for that matter.

ThanksView attachment 773691View attachment 773692

Siebel Si 204. Mostly built in Czechoslovakia during the war. After the war built in Czechoslovakia as the Aero C-3, for flying training (C-3A) and crew training (C-3B). Aero C-103 Civilian passenger transport variant. Aero D-44 military transport variant. Also built in France during the war and after wards as the SNCAC NC.701 Martinet Military transport powered by two SNECMA 12S-00 inverted air-cooled V-12 engines. and SNCAC NC.702 Martinet Passenger transport version with stepped windscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a Si 204D. Special Hobby makes a really nice kit of the Si 204D in multiple variants (mostly just decal changes, I think) in 1/48. I've got one of them in the stash.

Si 204D copy 2.JPG

If I'd seen it before I got this one, I'd have picked up the "Martinet" release. It comes with some very fetching Armee de l'Aire and Aeronavalé markings.

Everyone here has been so helpful. I am glad i found this site. I am an aviation enthusiast and flew from age 15 in 1979 till age 40 in 2004. I got my private license in the early 1990s and worked my way up to a CFII in 1999. I also attended Embry Riddle were I earned my degree with a minor in safety. I flew part-time as a fill in instructor for a nice little flying school at Fort Lauderdale Executive (FXE) which had two Warriors, an Arrow, a 127RG (waht a great little plane), 172s and my favorite, a Grumman Couger. If no one knows what that is, look it up. Its a twin engine 160hp Lycoming powered low wing type. It has a cockpit that looks like a WWII fighter. It has very chunky throttles and could handle short runways. It flew like a dream and had great handling with one engine out. I learned to fly in a Duchess which I hated. one engine power off stalls scared the hell out of me as I was told that they easily go into a flat spin and I had one fill in instructor who pushed me to the planes limit and the stalls were terrible. Anyway, I was working fulltime as a police officer in Broward County and wanted to be an airline pilot. My work schedule was four days on/four days off which was great! I flew 3-4 days every week. I had around 800 hours and needed 400 hours to get my ATP. i think it is 1500 now. I also had a big connection to South West as my dad was very good friends with a check pilot there. He promised me an interview though I probably needed a few more hours. Then the disaster.....9/11. That ended my dreams. I got laid off. My boss told me that he had a pilot that got laid off from a cargo company where he flew jets and had 15000 hours had come in for a job. I understood that but that really hurt. I didn't get back into an airplane until 2004 and that was only to get checked out. I flew a few times after that but...no one was hiring a CFII with 800 hours. It took a long time for the industry to recover but I was too old then so I gave it up.
Anyway, enough about my sob story!!! Thanks again for the info. I found a few of these on eBay in 1/48 scale but they sell for over $50.00. One reviewer said the plastic kit was horribly mismatched and took a lot of modifications to finish it up.
I know, I am long winded!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back