Hurricane Katrina and Me...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

what i don't get also, they had warning of it! it wasn't like it was a suprise! surely they could've got all the emergency preparations sorted before it came then move in as soon as it was over........

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Actually P-38 Bush does have some blame in this. Yes Bush had no control over a storm however Bush and the rest of the federal government could have acted quicker in the relief of the disaster area. We were able to take the whole country of Iraq in 3 weeks and keep it supplied for over 2 years now. We were able to send help to Indonesia after the large Sunami in less than 24 hours. Yet it took our government 5 days to get a real plan together for New Orleans. Something is not right there and I think our government is to blame for it. Eneogh Said!

Well said, Adler. That's hitting the nail on the head.

Ok, ok. Every one relax and come down, or is it just me?

But really, does anyone know for real about the D-Day Museum? (Please no comment Les.) There was something on the news about but like i said i didnt get to see it.

Answer

Subject: Re: New Orleans D-Day museum-Did it make it through the hurricane aftermath?
Answered By: justaskscott-ga on 07 Sep 2005 15:48 PDT

Hello jahost,

I believe that these reports are sufficiently definite to answer the question.

"National D-Day Museum, New Orleans, LA (as of 9-7). Richard Pyle with
the Associated Press reported that their New Orleans bureau sent a
reporter and photographer to the museum and found it intact and with
no apparent damage."

"Hurricane Katrina - First Reports" (last updated 9-7-05)
American Association of Museums
http://www.aam-us.org/aamlatest/news/HurricaneFirstReports.cfm

"D-Day Museum Condition: Received email from New Orleans Police
Officer that many paper documents are ruined or missing, but the
'heavy metal' on the ground floor is o.k."

"Katrina and the museums" [post by Brad Byers on September 7, 2005]
Cronaca
http://www.cronaca.com/archives/003775.html

So if even if it was looted (perhaps explaining some missing
documents), as stated on the blog cited by rainbow, these new reports
indicate that the museum is still essentially there.

- justaskscott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: New Orleans D-Day museum-Did it make it through the hurricane aftermath?
Sadly...

New Orleans: Confederate Memorial Hall Update

"Sam Hood, who is a member of the board of directors of Confederate
Memorial Hall, sends us the following news: He has spoken to Mrs. Pat
Ricci, curator of the hall. She reports that as of yesterday (Aug. 31)
the museum is apparently not flooded.

A major concern remains security. His reports indicate that the
National D-Day museum directly across the street from the Confederate
Museum has been "gutted and trashed by looters."

Sadly, we are informed that the homes of every member of the Museum's
staff are under water. The entire staff is now homeless and will have
nothing to return to. Sam informed Mrs. Ricci of the efforts of all
the readers of this site to inform the Civil War community of their
plight and she has asked that all of you be thanked."

http://thepresentpast.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been reported here that the aid sent by the UK soon after the Hurricane hit ( 500,000 24hr ration packs) and those sent by the German Goverment are sitting undistributed because the Dept of Agriculture need to confirm that they meet USA regulations.
You wonder what else the goverment can do to get in the way. I would have thought that these self contained packs with their own little cookers etc would have been invaluble.

They are, but like everything else the feds have done in this disaster, they fuck-ed this up too. "Meet USA regulations"?? WTF? While I will admit that some of the English food I had while I was there was not always very tasty, at least it was edible! Can we fire every federal official involved in this thing and let the military handle it?

The leadership has been absolutely appalling!

What the hell are they afraid of? That someone might come down with something? The folks in New Orleans are already swimming in a cesspool of disease for god's sake! Distribute the damn food already!

Uhhh... for the love of god, Bush is not jinxed! Was FDR jinxed when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor? Was he jixned when we entered the largest war ever and lost over 400,000 american soldiers lifes?

Now whats going on in New Orleans is crazy. Civilains shooting at police and National Guardsmen for trying to rescue their sick. Thinking its "teaching them a lesson."

Now those people aren't going to settle down. Infact Alabama is making home to alot of them and are probably living of taxes like they probably were back in New Orleans.

Im not pointing fingers to who started what. But I think that the governor or the mayor should talk to their people and tell them that they are going to be alright. But, not once have i seen the mayor OR the governor down there.

At least President Bush went to check out what was going on and even donated some money.

Agreed, Les.

I don't believe in people being "jinxed". Sometimes, things happen. When Pete Wilson was Governor of California, we had the worst of times, riots, fires, floods and earthquakes. There were no hordes of locusts and the four horsemen of the apocalypse never showed up. People said that about Pete Wilson. I disagreed and still do. I feel it's just luck of the draw who is in power when bad things happen.

It is times like these that separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to leadership though.

P38 Pilot said:
Ok, ok. Every one relax and come down, or is it just me?

Relax and come down for what!? Do you not like the fact that we are not patriotic eneogh like you that we see the faullts of our own government. Grow up, sorry man but right now this precious government is failing. Anyone can see that. I am proud to be an American just as much as you, but damn man wake up!

P38 Pilot said:
At least President Bush went to check out what was going on and even donated some money.

Hello again wake up and open your eyes. The Federal Government has not done crap. Oh whoop de do, Bush came to visit, what has he done since. Dont realize that the federal government has botched this whole recovery effort? Actually read the newspapers and watch the news and maybe you will see this. Being a patriot does not mean that you have to agree with your government the whole time and all the time. You are allowed to dislike, disagree, or admit something is wrong because you are free.

This whole effort, or lack thereof has been a mess. Calm down? I don't think so. I live in earthquake land, so there may come a time that we may need to feds to help out. After this mess, I realize that we are going to be just as fucked as the folks in NO. I have always been prepared with provisions, but now I see there will be some other things needed, including plenty of ammo.

I have lived in peace for the last 20 years since I have been out of the service, but if some sorry SOB threatens my family, the will find themselves at room temperature, and well ventilated.

There was an interesting article in a paper today that described the reaction to the 1906 earthquake that flattened large parts of San Francisco
The timeline goes like this.

5.12 am Earthquake strikes 5.12 with no warning
7.45 am all troops in the area fully deployed by General Funston acting on his own initiative.
8.00 am Mayor Schmitz (A violinist by profession) warns all looters that they will be shot
During the main part of the day
Mayor orders Army to blow up houses to form firbreaks (it was the fires that did a lot of damage)
Mayor orders Army to Commandeer boats to run shuttle service to outliying cable services that are running.
Navy and Revenue Cutter Service acting with the Mayor set up rescue ferries and fireboats.
America wakes up to the news.
Congress authorises all funds and required legistlation
11.00pm The first relief train from Los Angeles arrived in Berkley
Day 2 4.00 am William Taft Secretary for war orders millions of rations and further supply trains including the largest hospital train ever to start heading for the area.
By the end of the first week every tent in the Quartermaster-Generals stock was in San Fransisco.

That was pretty impressive by any standards and shows what people can do when they are able to take the intiative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back