Hurricane Katrina and Me...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder said:
I understand supply and demand. I also fully understand that the people down there more desperately need plywood and other material more than I do. But I wonder if some of these stores aren't being opportunistic as well.
Oh, undoubtedly. Opportunists are everywhere in business. I'm still trying to find out why some of the Canadian gas distributers increased the prices as much as they did. I could understand a certain amount of increase following Katrina, but there was no real need for companies like PETRO-CAN or Irving to gouge the public here to the extent that they did. None at all. The bulk of their stock is supplied from and refined right here, and there was no shortage. Nor was there the fear of one.

I agree Eric that is very unfair taking advantage like that I know free enterprise is ok etc but it does sound like they are taking the piss a bit and bumping the prices. i'm sure old Skim and his mates in Canada have a few million sheets of ply they can send down, the place is 90% timber anyway.
I feel sorry for those folks who have been made redundant its bad enough loosing your home but having your job removed at the same time is a double whammy. I wonder if the mayor may have created a future problem because if I lived there with no job or home I would think very seriously of pulling up stakes and starting a fresh elswhere in a less dodgy area.

oh my, skimmey's be savagly bundled into the back of a van by some very large men wearing black and a hip 17 year old halifaxian straight outta the ghetto has replaced him ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back