Is the Helldiver better than the Helldiver?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SaparotRob

Unter Gemeine Geschwader Murmeltier XIII
Mar 12, 2020
Long Island, NY
Was the Curtiss SB2C really better than the Douglas SBD?
I like both aircraft. Over the years I read specs about them (not from you guys 😉) and I'm wondering, Helldiver or Helldiver?
I've heard of SBD's referred to Helldivers.

Helldiver was, if I recall, trademarked by Curtiss. Whoever was calling Douglas SBD's "Helldivers" was guilty of trademark infringement. Were they to do that today, somebody would send the Copyright Enforcement Kneebreakers after them or, worse, their Pin-Striped Terrorists copyright lawyers.

The SB2C had better warload, but poorer handling than the SBD. The SBC2 was considerably faster than the SBD. The SB2C's failures were all due to the time it took to get into service and its handling problems.

Last edited:
Thanks. I remember reading pilots preferring the SBD. As I was about 7 (JFK in office), I thought something new had to be better. Over the years the bit I read had them both about equal.
I believe there may have been a squadron flying SBDs nicknamed Helldivers OR I might be thinking of a movie from the late 30's.
Please don't have my legs broken.
All those times I flew over Thunder Bay (coolest name ever) unaware of aviation history.

Thanks. I remember reading pilots preferring the SBD. As I was about 7 (JFK in office), I thought something new had to be better. Over the years the bit I read had them both about equal.
I believe there may have been a squadron flying SBDs nicknamed Helldivers OR I might be thinking of a movie from the late 30's.
All those times I flew over Thunder Bay (coolest name ever) unaware of aviation history.

IIRC it was mentioned in the 'Shattered sword' that Japanese ship crews, once they determined that US SBDs managed to initiate their dives towards Kaga, were shouting 'Helldivers!!'. We know that military inteligence can be spotty for the new enemy stuff, like the WAllies calling Ki 27s as Zeros, so this looks plausible to me.
Japanese shipmates probably knew that there was a Helldiver dive bomber in US arsenal, even if it was a biplane, so the new version must be a simple conversion from a biplane to monoplane, right?

We don't break any legs here, unless those are fried chicken legs ;)

SB2C could carry a greater payload because it had about 50% more engine power. That does not make it a good aircraft. I tend to believe the multitude of first hand pilot comments about poor flight characteristics. This is an aircraft that should never have been approved for mass production.

Was the Curtiss SB2C really better than the Douglas SBD?
I like both aircraft. Over the years I read specs about them (not from you guys 😉) and I'm wondering, Helldiver or Helldiver?
I've heard of SBD's referred to Helldivers.

The SB2C-1 was a terrible aircraft. The SB2C-1C was passable, but had poor divebomb accuracy, and the later versions (with perforated dive flaps) of the SB2C-3 were quite good. The SB2C-3 finally had adequate power and steady diving characteristics, and it was superior to the SBD in almost every way, except for being overweight, and as a consequence it built up too much speed in a dive, which required a 'stepped' dive with the final dive being made at 10-12k ft.

Last edited:

I'm not from the RIAA or DIsney; no need to worry about knee-capping.

I'm not from the RIAA or DIsney; no need to worry about knee-capping.
IIRC it was mentioned in the 'Shattered sword' that Japanese ship crews, once they determined that US SBDs managed to initiate their dives towards Kaga, were shouting 'Helldivers!!'. We know that military inteligence can be spotty for the new enemy stuff, like the WAllies calling Ki 27s as Zeros, so this looks plausible to me.
Japanese shipmates probably knew that there was a Helldiver dive bomber in US arsenal, even if it was a biplane, so the new version must be a simple conversion from a biplane to monoplane, right?

Now I have to re-read my copy of Shattered Sword. I didn't know there was going to be homework.

If they removed the top wing of the F3F would that produce an instant Buffalo?

Italian Air Force operated 42 Helldiver aircraft from 1950 until 1959.
I spoke (late '70s) with an Engineer of the Reparto Sperimentale di Volo that thorougly tested the airplane as Pilots considered it very dangerous.
He told me that just another airplane was considered more dangerous by Italian Pilots, P-39.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back