Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had built that model many years ago. I'm a B-17 fan, especially shark tails. I hadn't built models in years but when I saw it I bought it. I put a lot of effort into it. It was my best work and it got trashed in a move.
I now have the Academy B-17B (my all time fave). Maybe I'll use all the parts this time.

I had built that model many years ago. I'm a B-17 fan, especially shark tails. I hadn't built models in years but when I saw it I bought it. I put a lot of effort into it. It was my best work and it got trashed in a move.
I now have the Academy B-17B (my all time fave). Maybe I'll use all the parts this time.
Sorry to hear the old model's no longer around, but I look forward to seeing your 17B when you build it!

Not sure if I should ask this here or make a separate thread for it, but I've got a small question with regards to the early 17s: What color did they use for anti-glare on the nose in the NMF schemes? I know that late in the war they used Olive Drab, but was this also the case in 1940/41? The color photos I'm seeing are somewhat ambiguous. I think it's OD.

The kit came with black decals for the anti-glare, but it also calls itself a B-17C despite having cowl flaps, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Here are some color photos of the early B-17s

Not sure if I should ask this here or make a separate thread for it, but I've got a small question with regards to the early 17s: What color did they use for anti-glare on the nose in the NMF schemes? I know that late in the war they used Olive Drab, but was this also the case in 1940/41? The color photos I'm seeing are somewhat ambiguous. I think it's OD.

The kit came with black decals for the anti-glare, but it also calls itself a B-17C despite having cowl flaps, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Here are some color photos of the early B-17s

Is it the 1/72 scale kit for the B-17C/D no.2150 or the no.2106? Or it is the no.1666?

If it is the no.1666 kit have a look at the assembling sketch no.6 of the kit instruction. You will see why there is the engine cowling is with the flaps.

C_D.jpg

Hi Wurger,

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I missed your earlier one, it appears we posted at the same time. My kit is indeed 1666 and the instructions do show the earlier cowlings, but the kit itself only comes with one set and they have the cowl flaps!
E7366889-3C98-4703-AD44-9DB035FEC7D9.jpeg330F1210-BD24-4173-A563-737C3961B3B0.jpeg
I purchased it used, so perhaps the kit is a D shoved in the C's box? Their location on the sprue also differs from the instruction sheet. In any case I'm happy as the scheme I'd rather do is a D.

I can't say I had heard of bronze green before, thank you. I'll look into getting some or perhaps just darken up my olive drab enough to match once I start painting.

I see. The no.1666 kir was a base for the kits of the B and D variants. Also there was relesaed a kit no 2150 that was titled B-17C/D. Anyway the sprue with the engine cowls for all of the kits should be the same and looks like that below. If your model is bought as a second-hand one it is possible it is incomplete. But fixing of the problem should be easy. It looks like you should cut off the flaps and you can get the cowls for the C version.

1420_1_aca2150_3.jpg

Regarding the anti-glare panel .. perhaps D Dana Bell could shed some light. According to the site with the colour images, I would say it was a kind of a very dark green colour than the black. But I may be wrong.
Also the Bronze Green ... I suggest having a look at the three-part article on the IPMS Stockholm site ... Camouflage & Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part I)

I see. The no.1666 kir was a base for the kits of the B and D variants. Also there was relesaed a kit no 2150 that was titled B-17C/D. Anyway the sprue with the engine cowls for all of the kits should be the same and looks like that below. If your model is bought as a second-hand one it is possible it is incomplete. But fixing of the problem should be easy. It looks like you should cut off the flaps and you can get the cowls for the C version.

Regarding the anti-glare panel .. perhaps D Dana Bell could shed some light. According to the site with the colour images, I would say it was a kind of a very dark green colour than the black. But I may be wrong.
Also the Bronze Green ... I suggest having a look at the three-part article on the IPMS Stockholm site ... Camouflage & Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part I)
Thanks again, I'll take a look at the article. I currently have Dana's book on the P-40 on my to-read shelf. Based on the instructions and sprue, it's my understanding that the C kit is supposed to have an empty spot where the D cowlings are, while my kit has an empty spot where the C cowlings are. I'm rather happy about the mistake however, as I wanted an aircraft with painted cowlings and the only decals I was able to find for such were for Bs and Ds. Therefore, I'll be building this kit as a D model, serial 40-3061, with white cowlings.

Last edited:
I see. And you are right. The Academy kit no.1683 for the B-17D came without the cowls for the C variant. I have found the shot of the kit sprues (see below). And the B-17C kit no.1666 came without the parts of the engine cowling for the D version. So these must be the early kits released yet by the Academy-Minicraft. I guess that the kit no.2106 (for B variant released in 1991) could come with the cowls for one variant only as well. The only kit that could have come with all parts seems to be the no.2150 of 1995 for the C/D versions. However, the kits no.2106 and 2150 (both re-released in 1996) are signed by the Academy only and seem to contain the full sprue set with all parts for the early Flying Fortress regardless of the variant. It looks like the Academy gave up the producing of the B-17D kit as a separate one and stayed with the B and C/D kits only. Well .. you have the kit of the old series and therefore its containing is different from those kits released later. And now all is clear.

d.jpg

C.jpg

I see. And you are right. The Academy kit no.1683 for the B-17D came without the cowls for the C variant. I have found the shot of the kit sprues (see below). And the B-17C kit no.1666 came without the parts of the engine cowling for the D version. So these must be the early kits released yet by the Academy-Minicraft. I guess that the kit no.2106 (for B variant released in 1991) could come with the cowls for one variant only as well. The only kit that could have come with all parts seems to be the no.2150 of 1995 for the C/D versions. However, the kits no.2106 and 2150 (both re-released in 1996) are signed by the Academy only and seem to contain the full sprue set with all parts for the early Flying Fortress regardless of the variant. It looks like the Academy gave up the producing of the B-17D kit as a separate one and stayed with the B and C/D kits only. Well .. you have the kit of the old series and therefore its containing is different from those kits released later. And now all is clear.
Makes sense to me, only mystery I guess is how kit 1683 ended up in the box for 1666. Again though, I'm not complaining, it's a pleasant surprise.
I just took out my kit. It seems to have the C/D "dustbin " gun turret but flapless cowls only.
Very interesting! Honestly I hope we get a Y1B-17A kit one of these days. That and a B-25A would be excellent.

I'd kinda like to see the Boeing 299.
That would also be nice. In any case, the 17D is currently on the backburner while I wait for PVA glue that I ordered forever ago but keeps getting delayed. Windows on my other models have fogged up a bit so I'm being cautious this time. I'm also currently scanning microfilm for the Marauder, which is quite time-consuming.

Modeling-wise, I might post some more photos soon. I've repainted the P-40's prop to make it shiny (at the cost of the already applied decals, but they were hard to see anyway), and have mixed up some better maroon for the back of the blades. I've also painted the B-26's exhaust stacks copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back