Just found out that a friend who was like a brother passed away

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

at6

1st Sergeant
Jun 15, 2011
Fresno, California
Tonight I tried calling an old friend from Yosemite and found out that he passed away two years ago. His name was Frank R reese and the last time I saw him was in 1991. I met Frank in Yosemite in January 1971 when I was a weekender with Yosemite Park & Curry Company. During that time, we became like brothers and when I lived there during the summer of 1971 we had many wonderful times. It is hard to know that someone that you became so close to is no more. One of my fond memories is when we would have a few drinks, get our Bibles out,study and drink some more. One night, we had a few drinks and then went to one of a bathroom with our Bibles and started reading there. A highly unusual way to hold a Bible study to say the least. That is a small part the fond memories that I have of my dear friend. I will never forget him and he will always hold a special place in my heart.

Last edited:
Thank you. Frank was a good man, a fine husband to his wife and a good father to his children. I am honored to have been able to call him my friend. We used to remember the people that we had known back then. One poor girl named Marnie was swept over Yosemite Falls to her death and as to what happened the others, I have no way of knowing. One our most enjoyable memories was the Easter weekend party at the Swinging bridge at Leidig Meadow in April 1971. Frank and I had gone to the top of Yosemite Falls that morning and we had to get back down in time for the party because Frank was the bar tender for it. The river was used like an ice chest and was lined with six packs of beer and we had an ice chest that was used for the bar where we had the "hard" liquor and was truly a party to remember. There was a fire on the "beach" and no body left sober. Anyone who was there would ever forget that one. The following morning Frank and I went to the cafeteria for breakfast, the people who were scheduled for duty were missing in action and the management was out trying to round everybody up. Anyone who has ever had the experience of living in Yosemite will tell you, it becomes a part of you and it will always be home.Frank"s remains were placed in small valley near a stream in the mountains that he loved so much.

I know the feeling, at6. I wanted to reply earlier. Your post brought up similar feelings about those constants that were in my life that are gone. The guys with who I did so many dumb things with. The ridiculous "bar bet" arguments.…
I'm with you, bro'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back