Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

een there. My wife finally agreed to fly to Roswell NM to my 40th reunion. In 2021. Did not make it to the 10th due to Desert Storm, 20th because of 9/11, 30th because of a kay off. The week before, we got Covid. Looking forward to the 50th.

If the "Sky Typers" are using that engine in their T-6s, I agree. Every so often they fly over on the way to the beach. It's a wonderful concert.
All T-6s use that engine and I nearly have a male orgasm when I hear one or more together.

Hard to beat:

76fy.jpg

I remember standing next to a PBY parked on the side of the runway of a local airport when I was 10 years old.
The tires were as tall as I was!
Still one of the most impressive things I've ever stood under.

Did anyone ever mention?....

1705716734882.png

...and in case I failed to mention my favourite observatoini/liason aircraft...

1705717032358.png

...of course, its my sig, so maybe I mention it every time I post something? :dontknow:

The J22 was made (partially) of wood. I don't believe any armour was attached.
Yes, it had a welded steel tube fuselage with plywood panels. On the topic of fuel tanks, they were manufactured by AB Platindustri, don't know if it is self sealing or not. And it DID in fact have armor. On page 202 of Mikael Forslund's Swedish Fighter Colours it states: "The armour plating behind the pilot's seat was deemed too narrow," this was during operational trials in 1943 by the way. They also added after, the report this is referring to, a 60mm armored front screen. So the J22 was armored.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back