Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Different variations of the cyclogryo, each one uglier than the other...

1597317600903.png

1597317630043.png

1597317703563.png

1597317767870.png

FROM THE WEBS, COULDN'T FIND ORIGINAL SOURCES

It's kind of ironic that these all failed, as cycloidal propellers are pretty common in boats and ships, especially tugs.

A Voith-Schneider drive on a tugboat is quite effective, and points the thrust in only one direction with heavy use of cams.

In an aircraft, it would be like aiming the jet pipe on a Harrier. The Harrier has standard horizontal wings, and pointing the thrust straight backward results in standard propulsion. The first one above looks like it might be able to do the same. However, the entire point of a Voith-Schneider drive is the captain has the ability to make the propulsion point in any direction. So, he can some up next to a ship gently, and then have full propulsion sideways to push the ship ... or he can come up, tie off, and pull the ship, all while not changing his position relative to the ship. I really don't see the point for some of the above. They would need to provide both propulsion and lift, so it appears they were hunting for a helicopter application.

Here's an animation of a Voith Water Tractor:

Not too sure an aircraft could stand the cams, gears, and associated structure. The water tractor is at about 28 - 35 seconds into the animation.

Westland P.12 Wendover, looks like a Lysander backed into a Lancaster

View attachment 504406
from the WEB
Harald Penrose, Westland's chief test pilot, loved to fly this odd aircraft, that had for a while self castering mainwheels, so could behave a bit like a B-52 at taking off, rolling down the runway askew, the nose pointing at the wind even before take-off!

According to Harald, the idea was that its four-cannon gun turret would be used to strafe the beaches during D-day, but the idea was dropped so no production was started. Eventually, it was turned back into a normal Lysander, if my memory serves me right (its been almost 50 years since I read Harald's memoirs)! Guns were never installed, by the way.

Clearly they weren't following the guideline that if it looked good, it flew good. You have to remember this is not an anomaly, the French made the Citroen. I rest my case.

On the other hand, Citroens were very interesting, technically advanced cars. Their pre-WW2 aircraft weren't. Also, there was certainly nothing wrong with how the Traction Avant looked. Or Bugattis. I wonder if the engineers hired by the French aviation industry had all been trained by people who hated art.

On the other hand, Citroens were very interesting, technically advanced cars. Their pre-WW2 aircraft weren't. Also, there was certainly nothing wrong with how the Traction Avant looked. Or Bugattis. I wonder if the engineers hired by the French aviation industry had all been trained by people who hated art.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Citroen_AMI_6_(1).jpg
It's hard to pick which angle to view the Ami 6 from. I think looking in the opposite direction is best.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Citroen_AMI_6_(1).jpg
It's hard to pick which angle to view the Ami 6 from. I think looking in the opposite direction is best.
The Ami 6 doesn't even have the "ugly cute" think going on, as does the 2CV. On the other hand, the Traction Avant
962px-Tractionfr02.jpg
(By Traction.fr - Oberentzen 2007, Public Domain, File:Tractionfr02.jpg - Wikimedia Commons) looks quite nice.
And, of course, the Bugatti Atlantic was the most beautiful car ever made.
On the other hand, one may be inclined to think that the French aircraft industry (possibly especially Amiot) had been taught design by people who were expelled, with great prejudice, from art school.

GrsuGeist; gentlemen, if you or anyone else can produce more detailed photos of the SAB AB 20 as well as three views & any written references, I'm of the mind to scratch out a detailed scale model. As some of you may know by following my current modeling build of the Guillow's P-51 Mustang, I really go all out in larger scale aircraft. You may also reference my S.E.5 & Wright Bros' Flyer. I'd be delighted to model such a frightening flying apparition in a large scale of perhaps 1:12 or larger.

I'm always attracted to off-the-wall or odd aircraft that no one else has modeled. I can see it has corrugated surfaces. I already have a stack of corrugated plastic sheets from Evergreen. They would be out to good use.

On the other hand, one may be inclined to think that the French aircraft industry (possibly especially Amiot) had been taught design by people who were expelled, with great prejudice, from art school.

You are quite wrong, they graduated with high honors from art school, unfortunately the Art Deco and Cubism schools of art are incompatible with the school of aerodynamics :)

I'd even model the Amiot 140.... after or in place of the AB 20.

GrsuGeist; gentlemen, if you or anyone else can produce more detailed photos of the SAB AB 20 as well as three views & any written references, I'm of the mind to scratch out a detailed scale model. As some of you may know by following my current modeling build of the Guillow's P-51 Mustang, I really go all out in larger scale aircraft. You may also reference my S.E.5 & Wright Bros' Flyer. I'd be delighted to model such a frightening flying apparition in a large scale of perhaps 1:12 or larger.

I'm always attracted to off-the-wall or odd aircraft that no one else has modeled. I can see it has corrugated surfaces. I already have a stack of corrugated plastic sheets from Evergreen. They would be out to good use.
That's quite a challenge you're wanting to undertake, would be interesting to see it modelled, though.
I did a quick Google image search of "French SAB AB-20 bomber" and got some really good images.
The only 3-view I could find, was this:
SAB_AB-20.gif

Grau:
Thank you! It's a very good start. Almost any modeler can do some extrapolation of those 3-views. Onky Ned some detailed photos &/Orr drawings for supplementary data. Excellent!

I have already downloaded them into my newest file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back