Obscure Italian Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My favourite lesser know Italian fighter is the Caproni Vizzola F.5. To my eye, there's no better looking single engine radial-powered Italian fighter of WW2.

caproni-vizzola_f-5.jpg

f5-2.jpg

Put a polpetta on the side and you'd swear we'd found the ideal Italo-Japanese fusion.

Fiats invaded in the early 1960s with the 600 as the smallest and the 1100 selling most. Later 131s sold in the early 70s but they were high maintenance as well.

The FIAT Tipo would have had longer legs in the North American market.

As for aircrsdt, I wonder what Italy would have made had they decided to make the Littorio class as carriers instead of battleships.

I don't think the Italians had any use for carriers outside of prestige purposes, given their maritime scope and land bases.

Had the Italians remained neutral for another year and a half they would have seen Germany bogged down, out of steam outside Moscow, with their embassy reporting seemingly endless reinforcements arriving from over the Caucasus. Italy would have time to rationalize their aircraft fleet and future planning, striking down obsolete types and getting their house in order.

Piaggio P.108
Note gun turrets in outer engine nacelles.
Were the turrets remote controlled?

*Edit* From Wiki...
"...
The wing armament consisted of two remote-controlled, hydraulically powered Breda "Z" turrets with 600 rpg in the outer-engine wing nacelles, linked to one of the two cupolas in the fuselage "hump", with an operator in each. The wing turrets represented the most innovative aspect of the P.108's technology.[8]

Although considered a very advanced design, the operational suitability of the wing nacelle turret installations was questionable..."

Were the turrets remote controlled?

*Edit* From Wiki...
"...
The wing armament consisted of two remote-controlled, hydraulically powered Breda "Z" turrets with 600 rpg in the outer-engine wing nacelles, linked to one of the two cupolas in the fuselage "hump", with an operator in each. The wing turrets represented the most innovative aspect of the P.108's technology.[8]

Although considered a very advanced design, the operational suitability of the wing nacelle turret installations was questionable..."

Haha, I would love to know how they were supposed to aim those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back