Odd camouflage....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Never seen this one before!

5a8fd92aff98d9b8e7bae879f7c2f285.jpg

Not any kind of expert but it looks to be 15 cm Schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33/1 auf Selbstfahrlafette 38(t) (Sf) Ausf. H (Sd.Kfz. 138/1). Commonly referred to as a Grille (Cricket) Ausf.H based on the Czech built (38)t chassis.
As to the cammo ???? Never seen the Germans use straight-line geometric figure cammo

Would it even be German? Maybe post war something? As dazzle camo the intent would be to disguise outlines as much as hide the vehicle.

No doubt it's a Grille, but it could very well be post war in somebody else's army.

I will say the 38(t) chassis was pretty versatile. I am still holding out hope of owning a Marder III and or a Hetzer one day.

That is a possibility I had not considered. The picture is from a posting on Flickr by Panzer DB and he has posted 45 pictures of the little Grille and all appear to be German WWII. The German on the picture (some of it is missing) WIE EIN FLO(H) ABER OH(O??) ... Would seem to say "LIKE ONE ESCAPED BUT OH WELL" my colloquial German is not all that proficient so ???? The Cammo is weird but I still think German WWII era

Last edited:
Not sure but it seems that more of info on the particular vehicle may be found in the booklet ... Nuts & Bolts Vol.26: 15cm sIG33/1 (Sf) auf GW 38(t) "Grille" Sd.Kfz. 138/1), Part 2: Ausf. H

nuts-and-bolts-vol.26.png

I don't think the intereior was different from the standard one used for all vehicles. Of course there might be a couple of details attached later during its usage. But any major ones I would say. The camo seems to be a "prototype" but was never used for production vehicles.

I don't think the intereior was different from the standard one used for all vehicles
Sorry poor choice of phrasing on my part, by INTERIOR I meant "inside of the Nuts and Bolts Vol 26 book itself". Since the Odd Cammo Grille appeared on the cover I was hoping that inside the book there would be more details about it, such as pictures/drawings/etc. of the Odd Cammo Grille in the photo Jan posted. The one page from the N & B Vol 26 book that I did find online that showed the Odd Cammo Grille was small and even when enlarged the caption could not be read. Each of the Nuts and Bolts books are +$50 USD so unless someone happens to have Vol 26....
Secondly I had hoped that Chris' grasp of German might yield more from the partially legible German on the picture itself
Any dates for the photo Mike?
None that I could find. I can't speak to Jan's source but I found the picture online and as I posted in #9 The picture is from a posting on Flickr by Panzer DB and he has posted 45 pictures of the little Grille and all appear to be German WWII.
The other posted pics are obviously WWII era so I would assume the Odd Cammo Grille is as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back