On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But you've got to be pretty idiotic to sunbath on the extended centreline of a runway like that too. Doesn't take much to go wrong to ruin your day.

58eff3d548ff08f3b7df4592dc548dfa.jpg
Z3Y3wb3.jpg
a3893b171fe379364a4326f1b3f9b0bb.jpg
a7d34044b66a42e90fb1587fa2df8169.jpg

Last edited:
The PBS show Nova recently did an episode about the Dambusters raid on the German dams. In some of the associated footage, they showed USAAF B-24s practicing low-level runs with bombs remarkably like (and based on) the Wallis design used against the dams.

Some of the practice runs were done at nine feet. As in 108 inches or 274 centimeters.

I know a couple of guys who drug their wheels for an extended period prior to landing on a gravel bar (and saw their video to prove it). Apparently it works well with a Super Cub on bush tires, but not so well on a C-185. I was told they burned up the wheel bearings on the 185...but that is nothing like a higher-speed formation flight! These guys were not exactly in landing-configuration!

I know a couple of guys who drug their wheels for an extended period prior to landing on a gravel bar (and saw their video to prove it). Apparently it works well with a Super Cub on bush tires, but not so well on a C-185. I was told they burned up the wheel bearings on the 185...but that is nothing like a higher-speed formation flight! These guys were not exactly in landing-configuration!

Like this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8IUNQcN5U0

That's a local guy with a very highly modified pacer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back