P-39 vs P-40

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wing guns and ammo were very close to the CG, unlike some other suggestions made on this forum. Difference in roll response would be much more marked.

Yaks can get very confusing as there were at least two fuselage lengths, not including the Yak-3.

From Wiki...."the UTI-26 (Yak-7) differed from its predecessor in its larger span wing being placed farther back for balance as well as having two cockpits with dual controls and a rudimentary communication system."
Italics are mine.
And "Yak-9 variants carried two different wings, five different engines, six different fuel tank combinations and seven types of armament configurations."

The bomber versions had the bomb bay in what was the rear seat of the trainer. I am sure there were CG problems but less that trying to convert a plane that was designed/built as a single seater. The big cannon versions moved the front cockpit back about 16 inches (1/2 way between front and rear cockpits?) to allow room for the cannon (you don't convert early single seaters in the field to the big cannon).

This wide variety of Yaks, even of the same basic number, makes comparisons very difficult as most of the engine variations were experimental or troop trials, which in Russia could be over 100 aircraft. Russians once built over 100 planes with either the M-106 or M-107 engine and after brief flying trials, parked them while they tried to sort out the engine, then they gave up and refitted the planes with the standard M-105PF.

We also get stuff like this
"The first unit to use the Yak-9U, between 25 October and 25 December 1944, was 163.IAP. Pilots were ordered not to use the engine at combat speed since this reduced its life to two or three flights only. Nevertheless, in the course of 398 sorties, the unit claimed 27 Focke-Wulf Fw 190As and one Bf 109G-2, for the loss of two Yaks in dogfights, one to flak and four in accidents. The Yak-9U contributed greatly to Soviet air superiority, and the Germans avoided the Yaks "without antenna mast. "

Now according to some of our posters the P-51 just came in and cleaned up the scraps of the Luftwaffe in from Feb 1944 on. If that was even remotely true then the first combat use of the Yak-9U would have been against the very bottom of the barrel dregs of the Luftwaffe 9-10 months later. If the Yak-9U in the hands of one, two or even 3 fighter groups/regiments in the winter of 1944/45 contributed greatly to Soviet air superiority, one wonders just how superior the Russians were to the dregs of the Luftwaffe when flying older Yak-9s or LA-5 & 7s?

I am also AMAZED at the eyesight of these poorly trained, green German pilots who can pick out such details as the position of oil coolers and the presence of a radio mast at hundreds (if not a thousand) meters, in time to avoid combat.

I am also AMAZED at the eyesight of these poorly trained, green German pilots who can pick out such details as the position of oil coolers and the presence of a radio mast at hundreds (if not a thousand) meters, in time to avoid combat.

SR6,

You are right that no one had eyesight that could pick up these differences at range (I scoff some of the 50 mile tally ho's written by famous dudes), however there might be an easier explanation. The speed you have at the beginning of a fight is usually the highest you will see until the fights over. With that in mind if you merge with an aircraft and can see the "references" mentioned, then you would elect to leave right then (when speed is highest) to make an effective separation. Particularly if it's a high aspect pass (nose to nose). It is better to leave a doubtful situation than to stay (experienced guys can wade in a little further usually). Training is where you will push a bad situation to see if you can work your way out of it (the cost of failure is much lower).

I can tell you what missiles are carried where on quite a few aircraft, and if I could see that detail in a visual fight it would change my game plan / how I fought him.

Cheers,
Biff

Hello Shortround6,

Wing guns and ammo were very close to the CG, unlike some other suggestions made on this forum. Difference in roll response would be much more marked.

My thoughts on this were not that the wing guns made a drastic difference but may have counteracted some of the CoG migration issues.
The Pilot and Fuel are also very close to the CoG, but on the wrong side and and contribute to the CoG problems if they weigh less than expected.

We also get stuff like this
"The first unit to use the Yak-9U, between 25 October and 25 December 1944, was 163.IAP. Pilots were ordered not to use the engine at combat speed since this reduced its life to two or three flights only. Nevertheless, in the course of 398 sorties, the unit claimed 27 Focke-Wulf Fw 190As and one Bf 109G-2, for the loss of two Yaks in dogfights, one to flak and four in accidents. The Yak-9U contributed greatly to Soviet air superiority, and the Germans avoided the Yaks "without antenna mast. "

This is a good example of Russian history of which there are plenty of examples. Winner gets to write the history and tell more war stories.

The example of the 45 mm cannon Yak fighter was not to show a similar GoG problem but to show how the Russians were willing to accept an aircraft for service that would gradually destroy its own structure in use.

The big difference between a UTI Yak and the bomber Yak is that the bomb load that replaced the rear cockpit occupant is probably more than 100 Kg and leaves the aeroplane at some point during the flight, and most likely at low altitude where a severe nose down pitch might get interesting.

In this context, perhaps the Airacobra looks pretty good.

- Ivan.

The last "Major" item is one we normally don't think about.
The Pilot also happens to be ahead of the CoG and although the Pilot is not a disposable load, they don't all weigh the same. If the Pilot is very light and carrying very minimal equipment, stability gets even worse.

Interesting.
Probably impossible to analyse physical parameters of all P-39 successful pilots. Just some names of VVS aces...
Pokryshkin was larger than "average" guy. Glinka brothers and Rechkalov probably as tall as Pokryshkin. Trud was taller than Pokryshkin certainly as seen in group photos. Fadeev was called "giant" in some stories. Young Amet Khan Sultan was slim but tall. Gulayev did not look short in photos. Klubov was shorter than Pokryshkin and Rechkalov but quite broad shouldered.

Interesting.
Probably impossible to analyse physical parameters of all P-39 successful pilots. Just some names of VVS aces...
Pokryshkin was larger than "average" guy. Glinka brothers and Rechkalov probably as tall as Pokryshkin. Trud was taller than Pokryshkin certainly as seen in group photos. Fadeev was called "giant" in some stories. Young Amet Khan Sultan was slim but tall. Gulayev did not look short in photos. Klubov was shorter than Pokryshkin and Rechkalov but quite broad shouldered.

Hello Dimlee,
Thanks for giving interesting details.

Do you happen to know if the Soviet pilots flew with oxygen or not?
The removal of oxygen cylinders and associated equipment depending on where hey are might also change things just a little bit
For what it's worth, when I was looking up information for the P-39D, I found it very surprising that the weight allowance for the pilot was only 120 pounds as opposed to the typical 200 pounds in most US aircraft.

- Ivan.

Interesting.
Pokryshkin was larger than "average" guy. Glinka brothers and Rechkalov probably as tall as Pokryshkin. Trud was taller than Pokryshkin certainly as seen in group photos. Fadeev was called "giant" in some stories. Young Amet Khan Sultan was slim but tall. Gulayev did not look short.
Hello Dimlee,
Thanks for giving interesting details.

Do you happen to know if the Soviet pilots flew with oxygen or not?
The removal of oxygen cylinders and associated equipment depending on where hey are might also change things just a little bit
For what it's worth, when I was looking up information for the P-39D, I found it very surprising that the weight allowance for the pilot was only 120 pounds as opposed to the typical 200 pounds in most US aircraft.

- Ivan.
I doubt that oxygen system was removed completely. Some minor changes were mentioned in memoirs as smaller mouthpieces. Number of cylinders was reduced from 4 to 2 in P-39Q-15 according to several sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back