Picture of the day. (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think the Walrus was amphibious. I think it had beaching gear that was added when the aircraft was brought ashore. Perhaps the aircraft were ferried and were heading to or from land.

Geo

The Walrus was an amphibian they flew off carriers as air sea rescue birds and the RN used Otters post war in this role till the Helicopter took over

Walrus_carrier_landing.jpg

My favourite Walrus story. One that was being used as an air sea rescue aircraft picked up an American P51 pilot. Normally they took them back to base for a check up before the pilot was sent on to their home station. However the pilot persuaded the Walrus crew to drop him off at his home base which was on route. The Walrus landed and nothing happened until a jeep came out and stopped, the P51 pilot got out and the jeep drove around the Walrus before stopping again. A senior officer stood up in the jeep while the pilot climbed in. The Walrus pilot asked the SO if there was a problem. The SO shook his head loudly saying 'Dear God' and drove off leaving the Walrus crew to take off again.

I know they beauty is as beauty does but the Walrus was never a looker unless you were being picked up, when I am sure she looked stunning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back