Picture of the day. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

279 Sqn ASR.III releasing a lifeboat...

279sqn asr.III releasing a lifeboat.JPG

Geo

Don't knock them, those lifeboats saved a lot of lives and were the most sophisticated approach at the time. They had two engines, food, supplies, radios, sails, waterproof clothing, flares and were self righting.

Don't knock them, those lifeboats saved a lot of lives and were the most sophisticated approach at the time. They had two engines, food, supplies, radios, sails, waterproof clothing, flares and were self righting.
I know there were alot of sea/rescue units that were the salvation of countless souls, but in looking at the photo and understanding physics to a certain degree, I can't help but wonder how many prototypes and practice sessions it took before they were able to deliver a boat in that fashion without it:
1) tumbling from the aircraft and breaking up on impact
2) catching air and nosing up into the aircraft, damaging both boat and aircraft
3) hitting the water at speed and over-shooting the rescue area or worse, skimming into the survivors

No doubt a lot of trial and error came into it. Looking at the picture it looks as if they were forced away from the aircraft with the nose being forced out first. There seems to be a left over blast of gas in the nose and the rear has just been released. The came down on parachutes which would deal with the landing speed. My guess is the biggest problem was probably the distance they may have drifted away from the survivors before the boat hits the water.

There is an excellent book about this Shot Down and In The Drink: RAF and Commonwealth Aircrews Saved From the Sea, 1939-1945 . When the boat lands ropes are shot out away in various directions from the boat to help the survivors reach it. Believe it or most drops were good with only a few not working well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back