Questions about the Me-262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It does have a description of the Reidel Starter under the Junkers section if TomM, but I'm not 100% sure it has any in-depth blueprints or schematics - from the 'off the top of my head' memory... the books at home; and I'm having a coffee in a café while 'pillaging' their WiFi connection te he ;P I'll check it later and see if their might be something useful.

I don't mind if this book spent a longtime on the less usual shelves, if half of what there is within is at least half accurate and engineering wise it seems reasonably so, then the history of developmental problems issues, with the conflicting theories, opinions, ego's agendas of Germanies members of its Acedemic Community, DVL, RLM, NSDP Party Militarty Arms etc, it's both amazing they progressed as far as they did and yet lucky they only got as far as they did with all that happened the around them.. be it; the beautiful, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the despicable.

It does have a description of the Reidel Starter under the Junkers section if TomM, but I'm not 100% sure it has any in-depth blueprints or schematics - from the 'off the top of my head' memory... the books at home; and I'm having a coffee in a café while 'pillaging' their WiFi connection te he ;P I'll check it later and see if their might be something useful.

I don't mind if this book spent a longtime on the less usual shelves, if half of what there is within is at least half accurate and engineering wise it seems reasonably so, then the history of developmental problems issues, with the conflicting theories, opinions, ego's agendas of Germanies members of its Acedemic Community, DVL, RLM, NSDP Party Militarty Arms etc, it's both amazing they progressed as far as they did and yet lucky they only got as far as they did with all that happened the around them.. be it; the beautiful, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the despicable.

Any help would be appreciative in my project.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/me262-reidel-starter-motor-31613.html

I am afraid TomM, it doesnt have any blueprints or much data upon the Rediel, apart from i being a 210cc 10,000rpm 2-stroke of very little hp - the pic in the book is the usual one that is seen on google - the paragraph pertaing to the Reidel is of roughly equal to one half page of A4. And after looking around the net, there is next to nothing upon it that you'd seem to require - maybe the early post war 'bubble car' engines of a similar displacement could be an avenue of though...

In the end, although it pointed heavily to the future, the Me-262 was a failure as a fighter, a failure as a bomber destroyer, and a failure as a weapon. It was a wonderful experiment that was simply not ready for the challenge in time to make be effective enough to make a difference.

I partially have to agree, however the aircraft itself is not a failure, it was born into bad family circumstances.....everything boils down to...... Location! Location! Location!

Remove it from bad management..the Hitler touch
Remove it from a place that rains bombs all the time
Fuel is not a problem only its distribution
Provide it enough qualified trained pilots
Build in a place that has the right resources...say like Paine Airfield in Everett Wa.

And what do you have........a successfully aircraft only 65 years tardy

It would have been interesting to see what Howard Hughes would have done with the aircraft after the war if the USAAF would have granted his request for one!!

Attachments

• new me262.jpg
    new me262.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 119
Yes I too had a brand new 1974 2.8L Ford Capri with the big rubber bumpers. I got stationed in Germany in 1976 and took it there. I soon discovered that VW beetles were passing me up. The gearing was optimized for the USA cruising on the interstate. Top speed was 107mph but I could exceed slightly that going downhill on the autobahn on the way to Ramstein AB.

No they just standard bugs geared for the autobahn. I later got to drive a German buds Black Gold Capri. It had the 3.0 liter engine and was made for Europe with a 5-speed. Big difference!!!!

Last edited:
No they just standard bugs geared for the autobahn. I later got to drive a German buds Black Gold Capri. It had the 3.0 liter engine and was made for Europe with a 5-speed. Big difference!!!!

I was going to say.
Too right, both the UK/Euro 3.0 litre 2.8i (not to mention the RS3100) Capris were 125mph+ machines on a good day.
Never had one myself but used to play with them on the motorway once I started riding decent bikes.

I always had a fancy for a last of the line 2.8 Brooklands Capri, shame they were made by Ford tho, most of them will have dissolved into oxide in the rain by now.
The owners club sometimes come through my town we get to see a whole bunch of them (various models, mk1 facelift 3.0 litre GXLs were another fave) in mint condition.

73-75 was about the worse years for American cars, heavily stifled with poorly designed smog equipment.
That's when I started my civilian career, sometimes we'd run the new cars batteries down, just trying to start them, so we could drive them off the transporters

You could also go to that short stretch of interstate in Texas where 85 is the new speed limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back