Show Us Your Artwork!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wojtek, How's this? A bit more refined and more to scale!
Scaled off a 1/48th Tamiya P-51D.
This is shown at 1/48th, although the nose would be green.
Stinky 1-48th.jpg

Wojtek, How's this? A bit more refined and more to scale!
Scaled off a 1/48th Tamiya P-51D.
This is shown at 1/48th, although the nose would be green.
View attachment 773229

Looking much better. However there is still something wrong woth the "S" letter. Generally the shape of it is correct but it should be a little bit narrow at the top and possible at the bottom. Also the Stinky's bottom leg should be set at the different angle. The front part of it should go more down.

We are going to beat this into submission.
How's this one, closer I think. Thanks for your observations.
My nearly 81 year old eyes are getting tired!!!!!

Now something you would probably know Wojtek....
Color for the nose for the 359th FG?
What green? I'm having trouble nailing that color!
Also, I am seeing just a wrap around green in front of exhausts
in the photos of Stinky that I am using for my artwork.
However in some of these decal sheets there seems to be
depicted green under the name and part of the skunk????
This kind of scheme is shown for the sqn A/C with Invasion stripes.
But this plane was crashed in '44 I think, before June 6th!!

Last edited:
Color for the nose for the 359th FG?
What green? I'm having trouble nailing that color!

Actually it is quite difficult to state what the tinge of the green it was. The couple shots of the 359th FG Mustangs reveal that the green could be of two tones. One was of a dark but more green presence while it also could be lighter and of more yellow tinge. The darker one could be the FS 14090 and the lighter one FS 14187. The FS 14187 is the equivalent of the ANA 503 Light Green. Generally most of the kites had the green paint of the darker and gloss tone.
359th_Fighter_Group_-_P-51D_Mustangs.jpg

359th_Fighter_Group_-_P-51D_Mustangs_.jpg

359th_Fighter_Group_-_P-51D_Mustangs_a.jpg

359th_Fighter_Group_-_P-51D_Mustangs_2.jpg

359th_Fighter_Group_-_P-51D_Mustangs_c.jpg

the source: the net.

Also, I am seeing just a wrap around green in front of exhausts
in the photos of Stinky that I am using for my artwork.
However in some of these decal sheets there seems to be
depicted green under the name and part of the skunk????

I guess you meant the area seen in the enlarged shots.The appearance is caused by the partial "transparency" of the colour used for the letters. In both pic can be noticed that the green front nose strip was applied earlier than the name. The red colour, similar to the yellow, is quite difficult in applying and doesn't overpaint the background fully, especially if coated with a thinn layer. But I'm sure you know that feature of the colours. So that's the reason for the effect we can see in the images. ALso it should be kept in mind that the plate strips around the exhaust pipes weren't of the Duralumin/Alcald but of the steel. Because of the overheating it became darker and looking burnt. Additionally , in both pictures it can be noticed that the Stinky" didn't have the white colour. So no wonder that the overheated steel plate can be seen at the top of the skunk's mop.

stinky2a.jpg

stinky2b.jpg

Actually it is quite difficult to state what the tinge of the green it was. The couple shots of the 359th FG Mustangs reveal that the green could be of two tones. One was of a dark but more green presence while it also could be lighter and of more yellow tinge. The darker one could be the FS 14090 and the lighter one FS 14187. The FS 14187 is the equivalent of the ANA 503 Light Green. Generally most of the kites had the green paint of the darker and gloss tone.
View attachment 773332
View attachment 773333

the source: the net.
In these two shots it appears the spinner and the green nose Stripe behind the spinner could have been Original,
as in the Stinky photo and the rather unattractive scalloped addition to the belly of the forward fuselage???? So bare aluminum under the Stinky name and skunk??? Spinner and original stripe behind look flatter, older paint, than the addition.

BTW, you didn't mention the alterations to the Stinky and skunk in the pdf!?

This kind of scheme is shown for the sqn A/C with Invasion stripes.
But this plane was crashed in '44 I think, before June 6th!!

And again the quite common misinterpreting while seeing the black strips on the leading edges of the wings and the wheel bay doors. Unfortunately these aren't the D-day markings but the quick ID ones used for allied fighter planes being of the NMF. The black strips were applied not only on the wings but also on the horizontal stabilizers and elevators. As memo serves it happened to Andy's P-51D model. He was asked by the another user here to correct his model because ( at least , in the member's opinion ) there were the D-day markings. But Andy's rendition has been correct fully Just the black stripes were applied on only. In the enlarged shot the black ones also can be noticed but no white ones. Actually if the maintenance crew would follow the order for the D-day markings and its size/location, there would be the white strips but not the black.

stinky3.jpg

I guess you meant the area seen in the enlarged shots.The appearance is caused by the partial "transparency" of the colour used for the letters. In both pic can be noticed that the green front nose strip was applied earlier than the name. The red colour, similar to the yellow, is quite difficult in applying and doesn't overpaint the background fully, especially if coated with a thinn layer. But I'm sure you know that feature of the colours. So that's the reason for the effect we can see in the images. ALso it should be kept in mind that the plate strips around the exhaust pipes weren't of the Duralumin/Alcald but of the steel. Because of the overheating it became darker and looking burnt. Additionally , in both pictures it can be noticed that the Stinky" didn't have the white colour. So no wonder that the overheated steel plate can be seen at the top of the skunk's mop.

View attachment 773339
View attachment 773338
Agree with the exhaust surround. When I lettered Merlins Magic back in the the late 80's, I did the actual Race 22 MM plane nose art. I thought it was stainless steel, but MM was a later built D model.
Strange, I just noticed the little bit of the serial, 4117 at the bottom of the bid S!

Thanks for taking all this time for my Stinky. Just ordered an Airfix P-51D, 1/48th kit!!!!!

OK. Here is my attempt to the layout of the art. Just I not sure of what colour should be the Stinky's eye. The other colours are just to give the idea it should look like. Just in general way. Of course I marked just these colours there should be only there.

stinky4b.jpg

Wojtek,
so narrowing it down. SMS makes these three Premium Lacquers.
I think the PL06, Yellowish green is the choice. No FS number on this one tho.
I'm kinda looking forward to this one!!! Again I thank you for your time and effort.
PL06_Green_yellowish green.jpgPL159_RAAFDarkGreen_FS34102.jpgPL170_NZDarkGreen_FS14062.jpg

N4521U N4521U , Bill the PL20 also looks good. With a small drop of the yellow it also may be fine.

View attachment 773441
Yes it could but it is Transparent. so I would have to have a ground color under, of another green.
I'm going to use some of their Clear colors, Clear red Over another solid red, same with blue onna "56 Chev.
It's more like the old car Candy colors. However I could put a drop or two in the PL02 Green.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back