So you want to be a door gunner on a huey?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I went thru a program similar to that at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, in 1970.

I don't remember eating any lizards, though with the chow hall food then, you could never be sure just what you were eating.

I was a door gunner/crew chief. Just not on Huey's but on Blackhawks.

I actually wanted Huey's, but they where phasing them out.

Over 1600 hours in the Blackhawk though including 600+ combat hours. Probably my most favorite job I have ever held. So many great memories.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 224
Always amazed me that no one ever thought to arm those big lumbering Hueys right from the start. Landings were elevator with a cut cable but nothing could get them up rapidly. This must have been filmed early in the war. Some of the M60s still hanging from bungee cords and those "HERE I AM - SHOOT ME" uniforms with patches, rank stripes, bright white name tape and bright yellow US ARMY tape and cleaned and pressed on top of it.
Initially we flew in VNAF H-34s with Vietnamese pilots. Holes cut everywhere to reach components, pink hydraulic fluid everywhere, one exit door made it tough though that big 9 cylinder engine up front provided some ground fire cover. Poor pilots sitting 15ft in the air made great targets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back