Structure of WWII era tech documents

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Luft Bier

Airman
Jul 8, 2018
West Central Georgia
As with everything it seems, the Army and Navy do things differently. Prior to WWII, the USAAC had a system where tech documents started with Technical Order 01... For aircraft, while the Navy was NavAer for Bureau of Aeronautics. Sometime between June and September of 1943 everything went to the AN standard which I'm guessing is Army Navy? From there the Navy went to NAVWEPS until 1966 when it became the current NAVAIR. I cannot find much info on the AN stanfard nor what the USAAC used prior to WWII. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Actually it is a little more complicated than that. Think Military intelligence.

Some items went to AN and some remained TO and NavAer. Some went to AN even tho only one service used the aircraft/engine involved.

Prewar the Army was using TOs for the Curtiss P-36 but I am not sure when they came in.

Post war they have gone their separate ways with joint publications having three different numbers even tho the contents are identical - this is called Empire Building or a big waste of taxpayers money.
Clipboard 01.png

Actually it is a little more complicated than that. Think Military intelligence.

Some items went to AN and some remained TO and NavAer. Some went to AN even tho only one service used the aircraft/engine involved.

Prewar the Army was using TOs for the Curtiss P-36 but I am not sure when they came in.

Post war they have gone their separate ways with joint publications having three different numbers even tho the contents are identical - this is called Empire Building or a big waste of taxpayers money.
View attachment 502421
Thanks for thethe insight. I'm aware of how things are today, but I was hoping there was some structure to it, or at least a T.O. or document that covered tech manual ordering.
I have noticed that it does change with major changes to the services. It seems as the USAAC became the USAAF and then the USAF, changes in T.O. structures followed. I'm trying to narrow down dates when those changes happened. And I'm sure it'll be different based on primaryprima and probably not consistent even then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I'm aware of how things are today, but I was hoping there was some structure to it, or at least a T.O. or document that covered tech manual ordering.
I have noticed that it does change with major changes to the services. It seems as the USAAC became the USAAF and then the USAF, changes in T.O. structures followed. I'm trying to narrow down dates when those changes happened. And I'm sure it'll be different based on primaryprima and probably not consistent even then.

I will dig out and post an issue of Army TOs 00-1 (1943) and (from memory) 00-5 (mid 50s) that may help you as soon as I get time - home on 28th.

I have never seen the Navy equivalents but if anyone out there has them to post I would love to learn more.

Hope this helps and my apologies for the delay. I believe that the second file is from the Middletown Air Depot and that is all I have of it.

When it comes to manuals, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too much information.

Attachments

• 00-5-3 Tech Orders and how to get them (56-08-01)ww2.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 332
  • List of all aircraft and TO numbers 1942 ww2ac.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 281
  • An Explanation of TOs ww2ac.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 208
  • 00-1 Tech Order Index (46-10-01) ww2ac.pdf
    61.1 MB · Views: 301
Hope this helps and my apologies for the delay. I believe that the second file is from the Middletown Air Depot and that is all I have of it.

When it comes to manuals, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too much information.
Thanks so much. Im currently compiling a database of these older manuals and this really helps to know what should exist so thanks. I recall there is a NAVAIR manual that indexes whats available. NAVAIR didn't start until about 1966 so they wont list the older publications but I think the Naval Archives in Pensacola might be able to help.

Thanks so much. Im currently compiling a database of these older manuals and this really helps to know what should exist so thanks. I recall there is a NAVAIR manual that indexes whats available. NAVAIR didn't start until about 1966 so they wont list the older publications but I think the Naval Archives in Pensacola might be able to help.

If you get the chance to copy some goodies please think of the members here and post them - especially the older NAVAER stuff.

Sorry for long delay in replying. How is your project progressing? Did you find a Navy equivalent of the Army 00-1?

Please note I said NAVAER not NAVAIR in my post above.

NAVAER was used on manuals that were Navy only. AN, meaning ArmyNavy was used for aircraft like the T-6/SNJ that were used by both services.
1655365467017.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back