Taking Off at Sea without a Carrier

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Quite the complex proceedure to get a bird up.
Also, the guy working on the skyhook looked like he was wearing a Dixie cup or was that a pot painted white?
Hard to tell on this phone.

Great find, Greg :thumbleft:

Reminds me of a ride at the beach, except the sailors are paid to do it. The bowl hat is the standard USN cover turned down to keep it on in the wind. It was noticeable the differences between the L-4 and the L-5. The L-4, with pilot only, simply flew off not even considering the trapeze weight. When the L-4 had a backseater there was a bit more struggle to keep going. Although the L-5 has more power and flaps, it seemed a bit more of a challenge and I did not see a flight with two in the L-5. This brought back memories of flights from my misspent youth.

Reminds me of the Skyhook proposal for the Harrier.

Skyhook-740x455.jpg

24386797779_e11cba80cb_b.jpg

You're right. That IS interesting

I wonder how many fails there were before they got "takes" they could release on film. Looks like they had a good supply of Cubs on deck.

The footage looks to be slo-mo. What kind of takeoff speed is necessary (Headwind combined with the velocity of a racing LST) to get the bird to fly? It would have been interesting to see how easy it would have been with a Fiesler Storch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back