Taking Off at Sea without a Carrier

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was but a lad, my family doctor told me he flew a Piper Cub. He said you could fly it backwards with the right wind conditions. My first Cub story.

When I was but a lad, my family doctor told me he flew a Piper Cub. He said you could fly it backwards with the right wind conditions. My first Cub story.
I've done it. Piece of cake in a smooth steady wind. Just don't try landing under those conditions unless you've got a strong and agile ground crew ready to grab your wing struts as soon as you touch down and walk you to your tie-down. A Cub is a literal kite.

Didn't work out well for RNAS Squadron Commander Dunning in 1917. Succeeded on 2 Aug 1917 in making the first carrier landing around Furious's superstructure onto her forward flying off deck. Died trying it again 5 days later. The idea was dropped and Furious was refitted with a landing on deck aft instead.

Yup, following Dunning's accident, Rutland of Jutland (Sqn Cdr Fredrick Rutland) became Furious' flying squadron's CO and although landing on the forward deck was banned, did a few approaches and landed in the same fashion as Dunning aboard the carrier at least once, although taking off again. Fitting the landing deck aft didn't help matters as the funnel and superstructure produced eddies and made landings difficult, with aircraft suffering a high attrition rate as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back