Vought OS2U Kingfisher

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1661893912686.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
View attachment 684547

I've said it before, post-war I'd take one all day long and head up to Alaska/Canada to do some real fishing/hunting BUT, if you told me in training that I'm going to be flying OS2Us while my friends were sent out to fly Hellcats and Corsairs, I'd curl up in the fetal position and cry. Just something about flying a greenhouse on floats in a combat zone…..

The Kingfisher looks awkward without its floats. This aircraft, FN656 was evaluated by the A&AEE in April 1942 for British service but it was not ordered, one source stating because of its poor performance - the Supermarine Walrus was no rocketship - but nonetheless, its handling was considered pleasant but elevator trim range was insufficient in the glide. It stalled at 59 mph, and with flaps lowered the ailerons did so too, lateral control being actuated via spoilers. There were issues with carbon monoxide entering the cockpit but gaps and so forth were plugged to prevent this being a problem. Climb performance with an external load was poor and flaps had to be raised slowly, was this why the type was rejected for service? Vought OS2U Kingfisher

s-l1600.jpg

I once attached an Estes model rocket engine to one of those balsa wood gliders. It came apart most satisfactorily.
Sounds like those guys at Industrial Light and Magic, when they started building the models for Star Wars. Yes, I called it Star Wars, is old dogs remember it coming out and the lines wrapped around buildings. Lucas didn't even think he'd get a sequel, back then, so no need for elaborate titles.

1943 SPAR Visiting Vought Kingfisher NAS Elizabeth City North Carolina

1690884782296.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back