What if - Four-Power Pact 1933 is confirmed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
In 1933, Mussolini, wanting a closer relationship with France, along with a good place for Italy among the powers of Europe, pursued the Four-Power Pact - Wikipedia.

The Pact came to nothing, but what if it had? It's a little late though once Hitler is in power, Mussolini's chance was 1930-32, assuming the French can stop themselves from writing arrogance cheques they cannot cash.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. I don't think would have changed anything.

1. It increased the powers equally of the four powers (England, Germany, France, and Italy) and reduced the powers of the smaller countries.
  2. Mussolini and Italy were still a Fascist country and France would not likely cozy up to them.

If this would mean that the relations of the 4 signatories are better (ie France and the Italian side are a little less nervous about Germany which feels somewhat safer for its western borders), it would direct Germany to the east without the need to secure the western side. Perhaps the Locarno Treaties, would become more important.
i.e. as the wiki says:
For the British government, the main goals were promoting Franco-German reconciliation, and the expectation that reconciliation would lead to France dissolving its Cordon sanitaire, as the French alliance system in Eastern Europe was known between the wars. If France were to dissolve its alliances in Eastern Europe, Poland would peacefully hand over the territories ceded by Germany in the Versailles Peace Treaty: the Polish Corridor, the Free City of Danzig (modern Gdańsk, Poland) and Upper Silesia.
Somehow I doubt that the Nazis would stop there.
We know that with the signing of the AGNA agreement, the arming of Germany was enabled (in this case perhaps earlier), and the only question remains at what point would the countries of Eastern and Southeastern Europe (Czechoslovakia, Romania, Yugoslavia...) feel threatened enough to request protection from USSR (which wanted to provide it to Czechoslovakia in 1938).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back