What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is heavily subjective, but here is my question.

The other day my son and I decided to watch Midway. My son is very much a film aficionado and I have a graduate minor concentration in film criticism so we usually watch movies with a sharp eye. Twenty minutes in, we both are under impressed by the movie and I made the comment that there were far better aviation war movies and we paused Midway to watch Twelve O'Clock High and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. One thing we both picked up on is that the soldiers/airman all acted like they new what war was and seemed invested differently than current actors do.

Made me wonder, if you were to recommend and aviation based war movie. What would it be and why?

In addition to all the good films already mentioned, I'd recommend "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen and "The Great Waldo Pepper" with Robert Redford. If you eliminate the aviation requirement, there is the most depressing nihilistic film ever made, "Fires On The Plain", a Japanese movie. Strictly Cold War-- "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" with Richard Burton. This is the only film that accurately portrays the bleak depressing atmosphere of East Germany.

I went to see 12 O'clock High as a nine year old kid in a theater (.20 cent matinee, can you believe it?) in 1950 and it, among other literature mainly books, helped influence what turned out to be a 40 year airline career, the last 34 as a pilot. To this day, I love to see most Gregory Peck films! Gary Gordon, Laguna Vista, Texas

Yes they do. My Dad was a military and professional helo pilot. He flew in the first Special Forces helicopter unit in Vietnam and received a DFC among other citations.

Helos do count for aviation, however, they ain't natural.

Do you know the old adage, how do helicopters generate lift?
They don't-they vibrate against the earth until it repels them.

Seriously though, true flying machines-everything is flying around.

Zulu. No question. I watched this film as a youngster and remember thinking it showed both sides in a fair way, rather than the way most war movies portrayed the enemy as faceless, autonomous monsters.

Two future Knights, a Tribal Chief and a CBE Order of chivalry recipient. Now that's a star cast!

Next, Letters from Iwo Jima because it portrayed the Japanese as regular blokes doing their best. This time, the American soldiers are portrayed as the faceless, soulless horde. Good work by Eastwood.

Last edited:
Next, Letters from Iwo Jima because it portrayed the Japanese as regular blokes doing their best
Agreed, it was a great movie, I always appreciate when war movies humanize the antagonists.
I appreciated the small scene near the end of "Fury" when the German soldier spots the young tanker cowering under the Sherman, and instead of shrieking in unintelligible Teutonic whilst dragging the boy out, he simply smiles and allows him to escape.

Zulu. No question. I watched this film as a youngster and remember thinking it showed both sides in a fair way, rather than the way most war movies portrayed the enemy as faceless, autonomous monsters.

Two future Knights, a Tribal Chief and a CBE Order of chivalry recipient. Now that's a star cast!

Next, Letters from Iwo Jima because it portrayed the Japanese as regular blokes doing their best. This time, the American soldiers are portrayed as the faceless, soulless horde. Good work by Eastwood.

Both great movies, but only Iwo Jima has aircraft and that only passing?

Nice!
Grand!
Takakakakakakakakakak
And whilst we're looking at aviation-related war movies starring Sir Michael Cain, when I was a lad I really enjoyed A Bridge Too Far.

There were five additional future Knights in that film...

Sir Dirk Bogarde
Sir Thomas Sean Connery
Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins
Sir Laurence Olivier
Sir Richard Attenborough

I wouldn't want to be a Red Shirt on an away mission with a half dozen Knights. You're not coming back.

Last edited:
Band of Brothers..........
Enemy at the Gate............
Finding Private Ryan............
There is No good side to war!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back