What's on The Workbench (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will stretch the topic a bit, but seeing as I haven't built a Model airplane in at least 40 years, I am going to consider my 67 Pontiac Firebird a 1/1 scale model at this point. The engine and transmission are out (the engine went bad 2 years ago after 106,000 miles) And is almost ready to go back in the car. So I decided to clean up the Saginaw 4-speed transmission cast iron case and very heavy. So here it is dirty and on the bench.
1712841648084.jpeg

And after removing the shifter and mounts and vibration damper, 3 hours of cleaning, and a fresh coat of Cast iron paint from a rattle can.
1712841768699.jpeg

Interesting that I found a Paint stamp still on the transmission after 57 years and 106K Miles. Looks like a Yellow FH so far not found in any of the info I can find online. But that is not surprising as most of the info is for V8 powered cars, and mine is a lowly SOHC-6 Sprint. Not much info published on them, I will have to dig out my manuals to see what they say.
1712842015744.jpeg

I will stretch the topic a bit, but seeing as I haven't built a Model airplane in at least 40 years, I am going to consider my 67 Pontiac Firebird a 1/1 scale model at this point. The engine and transmission are out (the engine went bad 2 years ago after 106,000 miles) And is almost ready to go back in the car. So I decided to clean up the Saginaw 4-speed transmission cast iron case and very heavy. So here it is dirty and on the bench.
View attachment 773271
And after removing the shifter and mounts and vibration damper, 3 hours of cleaning, and a fresh coat of Cast iron paint from a rattle can.
View attachment 773272

Interesting that I found a Paint stamp still on the transmission after 57 years and 106K Miles. Looks like a Yellow FH so far not found in any of the info I can find online. But that is not surprising as most of the info is for V8 powered cars, and mine is a lowly SOHC-6 Sprint. Not much info published on them, I will have to dig out my manuals to see what they say.
View attachment 773273
Wow. A 1967 OHC Pontiac is about as rare as hen's teeth.

It is a pretty rare car, I bought it several years ago, pre covid with around 90,000 miles. Bought it from the original owners daughter, he had passed about a year before I bought it. Original California car with just a few mods done by the 1st owner. He added or had the dealer add the Rally II wheels, added rear sway bar, Hurst Shifter, and a 1970's vintage High energy CD ignition system. It is a OHC-6 Sprint (4-bbl engine) with a 4-speed manual trans, 3.23 posi rear, Power Steering, Gauges with a 6 cylinder hood tach, and A/C. It even still has the California Emission system intact.
1967 Bird Lt Front.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back