What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Rob! I've got a 1/72 Academy C-97A waiting for a build. It is HUGE. One thing that does concern me about it, is that the nose is one large clear part, with the windscreens moulded in. Full pack of Marlboros and a gallon of coffee to see me through the masking, I think... and a week off work :lol:

thanks a lot you guys! I seem to be the only one posting my progress on this thread, now lol

as for the 1/72 stratocruiser. the problem for me wouldn't be the windscreen, cos that'd be easy to me. the problem would be the nose weight, and how much to put in it.

thanks a lot you guys! I seem to be the only one posting my progress on this thread, now lol

as for the 1/72 stratocruiser. the problem for me wouldn't be the windscreen, cos that'd be easy to me. the problem would be the nose weight, and how much to put in it.

The instructions call for 60-70g placed between the cockpit floor and the nose gear bay. Seeing as depleted uranium isn't easy to come by, I will settle for thee 1oz fishing weights (total 84g), placed a little further aft, behind the cockpit. Hopefully the extra weight will compensate for the shift towards the rear

wow that is really wierd. my instructions don't say sh!t about nose weight. I just looked at the KC-135 instructions on airliner cafe and it calls for exactly that. I have a special method for doing nose weights...I encase the weights in play doh

I was planning to simply superglue them to the fuselage. Seems strange your instructions don't mention nose weights, I would guess the build sequence (and the parts) are identical to both kits

I don't reccomend using glue. you'd be inclined to use too much and that'll warp the plastic and ruin the whole thing

Using of a glue depends on when you are going to attach the weights and their shape. Of course a glue for styrene isn't the proper one.

Use 'Plasticine' or 'Blu Tak' to hold the weights in place. The weights can be embedded in the Plasticine, and moulded into position - it also adds a bit of weight too.

Among the project I'm working on currently is this 1/48 Airfix Spit MK.22/MK.24.

I was waiting for a few after market thingy's to arrive, but they took a very long time to arrive (apparently there are problems with international mail traffic from and to the US as I wasn't the only one) so this project was shelved for a little while, until yesterday when my the delivered a bunch of things I've been waiting for for some 6 weeks. Best to keep it going then and start paintwork. Earlier on I did the under surfaces, and yesterday I roughly outlined the basic camo pattern. Still needs touching up and steps to make it look good, but the basic pattern is workable. Through multiple paint layers and post shading complete paint coverage will be achieved.

be130a2e.jpg

ee3b1061.jpg

Looking good Jelmer - I must get around to doing the one I've had for the past 13 or 14 years !

You should, sofar it's been an extremely neat little kit in terms of fit and details (airfix really did deliver the goods back when this first came out and still could serve as an excellent example of where I would like to see them go with their new kits in terms of surface detail (nice and very crisp that is) It shows beyond doubt that they CAN do it rather then do these heavy engraved panels all the time. In terms of surface details it's comparable to your average tamigawa kit of the mid-late nineteen nineties. I've got a few more stacked up, so this one was build in the 'sand-box' mode to try and do a few things (mainly with aftermarket resin/PE additions) that I didn't do before all that much

Last edited:
It's one of those kits I keep pulling out and looking at, thinking "Right, get to it", and then get side-tracked onto something else! Must do it soon, in the colours of my local RAuxAF Squadron.

Would be good to do it in yer local RAuxAF Sqn. to give a little personal touch. The decals should be replaced anyway if you like working good quality decals. One and perhaps two things are worth replacing with aftermarket stuff. First a vac-form canopy as the kit part looks a tad undersize, especially if you place the sliding hood in the open position it sits way too high on the fuselage, nowhere near the guiding rails. And since it does have a typically spartan airfix cockpit (while not perse very bad) a resin replacement or perhaps just some PE to spice it up is well worth looking into as it really brings the interior up to a detail level comparable with the exterior, especially if you consider putting the sliding hood in open position and little side door open as well.

Great looking Spitfire Jelmer!

Thanks Evan! This will prolly end up being a fairly clean kite in the end. We're talking post war German occupation force, so no battle worn a/c. I got me a nice Eagle Strike decal sheet for this one with two UK and one Syrian MK.22/MK.24

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back