What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice one Red Two, and good to see the decals are printed in register this time around - no red and white Xs or warning markings this time, when they should be red!
Might get myself this old kit to complete the '1980s RAF' line up.

my attempt at a bf109H
IMG_1512.png

IMG_1513.png

IMG_1515.png

IMG_1516.png

Good stuff mate. One of the best sanding tools I have is an emery board my girlfriend gave me! Perfect for wings and straight surfaces especially.

Was playing with the airbrush today spraying different kits, but not too happy with the results. Still have a lot to learn.

Here's the more successful one, a repair of an old Airfix 1:72 Hampden with Airwaves PE and some basic scratched details. Next step shading and detail painting, then minimal further detailing (not going overboard with this one, the next Hampden will be fully detailed though...)

STA51376.JPG

STA51375.JPG

Nice work there Evan. Be nice to see a 'Flying Suitcase' in 1/48th scale injection kit.
Just looking at yours - how are the wings attached? I see the 'slots' are covered by the details work, so I presume the wing tabs are very short, and you're relying on those, plus bonding along the surface of the wing root?

Not on the workbench yet, but it will be cuz this will be my HS-4, SH-34J that I crewed in. Someday in GB37, maybe sooner if I decide to just pick at it. It will have another scratch built sonar station with winch and transducer.

Just got it from Hannants, they sure are prompt! I took a punt at this one, just be the blurb on it and the detail Promised. To me surprise, surprise. It has the tail fold end plates, and a detailed engine and clam shell doors...... whoopie!!!!!!!

I think it will be a great build.

Attachments

• Workbench 1a.jpg
    Workbench 1a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Workbench 1b.jpg
    Workbench 1b.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Workbench 1c.jpg
    Workbench 1c.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 88
Terry, the wing roots are deep but the tabs longer, so I glued the wings on securely (in'98 ), then trimmed and ground the tabs flush with the inner side root.
A couple of years ago found the Airwaves PE set (inaccurate in fit and detail, but good enough for the purpose of this build) so just glued the side panels over the roots.

Pics:

-New Hampden kit, showing wing root and tab detail. This bird will get the works as a 489 (NZ) sqn. TB.I
-pastel shading of interior details. Next step a little extra detailing and detail painting. (You'll notice the 'flak damage' to the nav window area PE... went overboard by mistake filing out this section - Airwaves forgot there is a window there! :) May repair this area with a strip of styrene, though no-one's gonna see it anyway!)

Btw, have pics somehere of the PE set in virgin state, plus the kit in autopsied condition. Will post when I find them.

STA51428.JPG

STA51429.JPG

STA51430.JPG

STA51431.JPG

Cheers Wayne and Dave, not a patch on you guys' work though! :)

Couldn't help myself (as always) and stripped various components to make the more visible areas a bit more accurate. Turns out the covered wing root area should be open too, so off with the margarine lids for basic detailing.
Nose ribbing simply done with a sharp pencil btw, provides the effect without wasting materials (though certain ribs and details will be built up shortly)

STA51498.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back