1/48 He 51B-2 Float Plane - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, stretced sprue didn't work all that well. Can't get long enpough stretch.

Got my .5mm rod last night in the mail. Today I've opened the holes a bit to receive it. Done a liyttle test strip and what do yah know. I've drilled all the holes in the direction I want the rod to take from hole to hole. I'm leaving the ends round, as the real rods would have bee. You can see the end is round the mid portion squished. I thin it's gonna work a treat!!!!!

I sailor on.

BTW, I hate fitting bi[lane wings, so much can go wrong with lengths of whatchamacallits. You know what I mean.

Attachments

• GB22 20.jpg
    GB22 20.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 82
A small museum Charles.

Doing wings first, floats later just to give me old heart a rest. Stringing is a bit stressful.
Setting the Buckles between the wing stuts today.
The .5 rods grow 1mm for every 20mm in length when I squish them.
Good thing I got 10 lengths of it in the pack!

I sailor on.

Thanks for the kudos........... you make an old man smile.

Buckles on the main struts. I cut a small notch at the drilling point to keep from slipping of with that .35mm drill.
I'll string them up to the opposite strut after they are attached and the upper wing is on. I'll do the same for all the stringing.
Flat "wires" will be attached after full assembly, before painting. I will have to measure, pinch and fit each one.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• GB22 21.jpg
    GB22 21.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Glenn.

Vic, it would have to be abot .75mm at the widest dimension.
And with these rods going in I can return the buckles you so generously sent my way!
I would have run short needing the whole lot.

I now have the wings attached............ did I hear cheers from the audience???? I hate this part, and I still have the floats to go!

Attachments

• GB22 22.jpg
    GB22 22.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 64
Don't worry about the buckles Bill, I've plenty on hand, so you just hang onto them.

Like the looks of how this is going.

In hindsitght........... and a tip to anyone else silly enough to try this!

To prevent a floppy flat rod.
I would have drilled thru the wing for the flat rods, at one end.
Glue in the rod at the Other end first and let that end set.
Then with the rod TOOOO long, pull it thru the hole keeping a small bit of tension and glue in place.
Cut off the excess rod, fill and smooth the hole to finish.
Shoould end up with a nice taught, straight rod.

Dam, why didn't I think of this sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back