5" 38 Mark 28 Twin Gun Secondary Battery from Iowa Class Battleships

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While I can't specifically do a video on construction since I'd need a time machine. However, I am going to produce and AV program to show parts of the model that are now hidden and/or give more inforation about the gun, its history and the system. Trying to do this with traditional graphics didn't seem to be abe to do the job. My shop (and my work habits) don't lend themselves to videoing my work.

Tom, that's a good idea. I only need large plans a couple of times a year, and if I can get good accuracy by taping together the sheets, I'm okay with that. That said, Louisville is a big enough town that there are services to do what you suggested and I will keep it in mind going forward.

Again, a short session. Between taking walks with my steadily improving wife (up to two miles now), and a haircut, got less than an hour in the shop, but I did do something. Finished putting all the multiple sheets together and now have a full set of plans for each deck. The reaons these are so important is the openings for the hoist trunks.

And I found that my relief cuts that I drew into the splinter deck are not aligned with the trunk. It was the way I decided to create the modules. I will have to cut them by hand anyway. The plans are very close to the actual size of the objects.

5IP Splinter Deck Plans.jpg

I cut the door openings old school using the Dremel with a carbide router. I had tried to use a brad-point drill bit to cut the corners, but it tore out on exit and destroyed the piece. I also got very nice prints of the slightly modified Magazine Access Doors. These have bigger dog bosses so I should get a more secure attachment for the wire handles.

5IP New Door Openings.jpg

Here's another example of plans all taped together. I have circles drawn for alignment tubes that will keep all three decks in registration, again for those trunks. It must have been fun building the real ship figuring out their pathway through decks and bulkheads as they wend their way from magazine to upper handling room.

5IP Big Plans.jpg

I hope to have a longer session tomorrow. I did order the nameplate and have final measures for the plexiglass. I know from experience that it takes on day to do the electrics, one to do the outer case, one to do the deck planking, and I have probably 10 or more hours to finish the model. I should be done by May 18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back