Academy 1/48 MiG-21 (L-17K) of 127. lae, 204. lap, JRV, Batajnica, 1982, Cold War GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Academy
Model Type: MiG-21bis (L-17K)
Details: No. 17221/221, 127. lae, 204. lap, JRV, Batajnica Air Base, Yugoslavia, 1982
Decals: aftermarket decals by Lift here! (Limited edition kit decals made in Serbia)

Here is my entry for the Cold War Group Build, a little late though as the GB is well under way for a while now. Not surprisingly it's a MiG-21, my favorite jet aircraft. Profile in the attachment shows the aircraft which I wish to build. Nothing special about this particular aircraft (just one of many flown in Yugoslavia and the one which I was able to find the decals for) other then the fact it operated from Batajnica Air Base which is located some 10km of my home town.

Few explanations on the abbreviations used above... It was common practice in JRV (Jugoslovensko Ratno Vazduhoplovstvo=Yugoslav Air Force) to use custom designations for aircraft in their service. So various models of MiG-21 were given different designations, in this case MiG-21bis with Lazur GCI system was designated L-17K, the letter 'L' meaning lovac=fighter. This particular aircraft was operated by 127. lae (lovačka avijacijska eskadrila=fighter aviation squadron), 204. lap (lovački avijacijski puk=fighter aviation wing). Being charged with defence of capital city of Belgrade fighter units based at Batajnica, namely the 204. lap, were always the first to receive the best and most modern aircraft, culminating with MiG-21bis and MiG-29.

As a personal note I would like to express my gratitude to Terry (Airframes) who kindly helped by obtaining this kit for me. Thanks again my friend. I owe you one.

Attachments

• 1_01.jpg
    1_01.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Here's the photos of the Academy kit and aftermarket decals I will use. I still have to make another visit to the hobby shop to get some colors I need and hopefully I'll start this build some time next week.

Attachments

• 1_02.jpg
    1_02.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 1_03.jpg
    1_03.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 265
Yugoslav story of MiG-21 began in 1962 with deliveries of supersonic fighters MiG-21f-13 and K-13 air-to-air missiles (copy of AIM-9 Sidewinder) from Soviet Union. First five MiG-21f-13s arrived to Batajnica Air Base in fall of that year. Out of safety reasons custom designations for these new aircraft were devised, so the MiG-21f-13 was always referred to as L-12. New aircraft was presented to the public for the first time on the First May parade in 1964.

Over the years JRV operated many different versions of this famous aircraft: MiG-21f-13, MiG-21U-400 U-600, MiG-21PFM, MiG-21US, MiG-21R, MiG-21M, MiG-21MF, MiG-21UM and finaly MiG-21bis. All in all, Soviet Union delivered to Yugoslavia total number of 261 aircraft in 9 versions. Some 130 MiG-21s were lost in crashes and civil wars fallowing the desintegration of Yugoslavia – with 80 aircraft lost in 1964-1992, 19 in 1990-1999 and some 33 in 1999. Currently, two former Yugoslav Republics - Serbia and Croatia - still operate the type.

Being the ultimate Cold War development of MiG-21 aircraft series and the subject of this build, here's the basic info on MiG-21bis operated by JRV. Two sub variants of the type were used - MiG-21bis SAU and MiG-21bis LAZUR with official Yugoslav designations L-17 and L-17K respectively. Entered service in August 1977 (L-17) and in June 1982 (L-17K). Total number delivered: 45 L-17s and 46 L-17Ks. At this time twelve L-17s and thirteen L-17Ks are still operational with Serbian Air Force. Armament: twin-barreled gun GSh-23 of 23mm calibre with 200 rounds, up to four air-to-air missiles R-3S or R-60, two R-3R and four R-60. Several pictures from various sources (mainly internet) of MiG-21bis in JRV service in the fallowing attachment...

Attachments

• 1_04.jpg
    1_04.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 1_05.jpg
    1_05.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 1_06.jpg
    1_06.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
And some color pictures with one cockpit close up...

Attachments

• 1_09.jpg
    1_09.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 1_10.jpg
    1_10.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 238
  • 1_11.jpg
    1_11.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Great info and pics Igor, and great to see another MiG 21, icon of the Cold War !
Glad I was able to help out, even though it took some time to get the kit to you. This is the type I was going to do, but decided to go for the earlier version. Looks like it'll make a nice model straight out of the box and, with luck, you should get it finished in time, as it's a fairly straightforward build - unless you add lots more detail!

Cheers fellas. I'm really looking forward to working on this model. Just hope I manage to finish it by the GB deadline. As Terry said MiG-21 is one of the icons of Cold war, but maybe even more so in former Yugoslavia - an aircraft which marked the last half century of our aviation and is still in service today. Not to mention I grew up with MiG-21s from nearby Batajnica Air Base flying over my head. When I was around five or so years old I was seated to a cockpit of MiG-21 on static display during an airshow and this more than anything else sparked my interest in aviation. The first model which I build with the help of my father was a 1/144 scale MiG-21 and I still keep it today. Once when MiG-21 is withdrawn from service with our Air Force it truly will be an end of an era.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back