Alternative German Fighters: Me-209, Me-309, He-100, etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A interesting FW desing wich used the Jumo 222 24 cilinder engine.

ta152laminar6rj.jpg

The 2000 hp Jumo 222 was basically 3 geared V-8 engines in a radial layout.

Like the W-12 auto engine- 3 banks of 4 cylinders. The key to radial/inline is air or liquid-cooled and this baby is liquid-cooled. Here we have 6 banks of 4 cylinders. 8)

Twitch said:
Like the W-12 auto engine- 3 banks of 4 cylinders. The key to radial/inline is air or liquid-cooled and this baby is liquid-cooled. Here we have 6 banks of 4 cylinders. 8)
If you are saying inlines are liquid cooled and radials are air cooled, not neccessarily true. The Ranger was a V inline that was air cooled. The Hs129 used an air cooled inline engine, the inverted V12 Argus. The Isotta-Franschini Delta RC35 was an air cooled inverted V12. Napier and RR made inline air cooled engines.

Sure there are air-cooled inlines but no liquid-cooled radials. I mean when one speaks of a radial it is given that it is air-cooled. And for the most part inline= liquid cooled during combat operational engines in WW2. Is curious to ponder why more development wasn't put to air-cooled inliners though.

Yeah but how common was a liquid cooled radial in the context of everyday dialogue of WW2? If someone in 1943 said "the new fighter design calls for an 18-cyinder radial," and you replied "liquid cooled or air cooled?" they'd look at you as if you were a dummy. RELATIVE to the times of WW2 inline meant liquid-cooled and radial meant air-cooled.

What I'm curious about is why the lack of development in air-cooled inliners? I believe there is a point where you reach diminishing returns on HP vs ability to efficiently function and dissapate heat with weight factored in. I wish I knew the formula.

Probably because the later cilinders close to the pilot receive a poor fresh air flow, aniway there was some desings in the 200-500 hp level like the Argus V-12 used in the FW-189 FW-56, Fi-156,etc.

332lujj3.gif

Another "alternative" that wanst, the He-112B.

In Luftwaffe service in 1938.( briefly by the way)

112lf2.jpg

luft112gr4.jpg

Got that same engined Ta-152 in a book of mine at home. Interesting version of the 152.

Got a question everyone.

Did any of the prototype Me-309s see any combat? I ask this because (you have to excuse me because I dont remember ths source) I saw on a website a log of claims from a 8th AF bomber squadron and one claims to have damaged a Me-309 and one claims to have killed one.

I don't believe Me 209s saw combat. But...? I do know that there was some weird naming of different German planes by the 8th AF fighter pilots and Allied intel of the era. The 190D was referred to as the Fw 290 and something I never figured out was called the Me 209.

The little game I play :lol: Forgotten Battles will soon release a new "1946" addon pack that will include quite a lot of this birds that flew only in the designer's dreams. Not something historical but a nice "What If".

Some info and screens here:

:: RRG STUDIOS ::

40_full.jpg

Umm Jaws I hope you are not calling the Ta-183 just a designers dreams.

The first prototype of the Ta-183 was scheduled to be completed Oct 1945 but was not finished due the factory being captured in April 1945.

Other simmiler aircraft such as the Messerschmitt P.1011 were litterally only a week from first flight but were captured. The US ended up flying a modified version of the P.1011 after the war.

There was at least a liquid cooled radial engine : the BMW803A, one of them is restored by BMW in Munich but I don't know if in display for the public:

4 rows, 28 cylinders, 84 litres (!) and 2,5 ton

source: forum.axishistory.com

Attachments

• ff6912_147.jpg
    ff6912_147.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 172
One thing shown in the Ta 183 image that was the real deal and in the hands of the squadrons at the time of capitulation was the wire-guided X-4 missile. Any plane could carry them and they were the most deadly missile of the day.

About 15 minutes after VE-Day occurred they would have been in use.

One this that was for real was in the Ta 183 image was the X-4 wire-guided missiles. Any plane could carry them and they were already in the squadrons' hands at the time of capitulation.

15 minutes after VE-Day they would have been in use.

What the hell. 1st post wouldn't load then did!

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Umm Jaws I hope you are not calling the Ta-183 just a designers dreams.

The first prototype of the Ta-183 was scheduled to be completed Oct 1945 but was not finished due the factory being captured in April 1945.

Other simmiler aircraft such as the Messerschmitt P.1011 were litterally only a week from first flight but were captured. The US ended up flying a modified version of the P.1011 after the war.

The designer's dream came to my mind from this thing:
:evil4:

35_full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back