Box art.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The convenience store on the corner has a small toy section and I noticed it had an empty box that once held baldswood gliders.
I took a closer look the other day, as the box has been empty for quite some time and of all things, they were based on WWII fighters!
So I asked the guybat the counter if I could have the box and he gave it to me - the artwork is reminescent of model kits and there seems to be a majority of Japanese types which is odd, because these gliders come from China.

The one thing I found interesting, was the A6M battling what appears to be an He100!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well, we just have bring our noggins together over a pint and solve it.....
'
Sounds like a great idea! - But it's 'AZ-H' not 'OZ-H'

Not sure, but it might be a Roy Cross work;
For my Birthday last year (I was 14, honest!) the Landlady of my local pub did a jigsaw puzzle and framed it for me.

The picture was the classic box-art of the Airfix 1/24th scale Spitfire Mk1, circa 1969,

'

Sounds like you two have been imbibing (Beer), just a bit TOO often - Either that, or it's damn 'fine' Beer (&/or your memory is $h!te ; Hahahahahaaa)

That 'AZ-H' coded Spitfire (of 234 Sqdn), was just a later version of the ('minor-league'), AIRFIX 1/72 SPITFIRE, which came-out in 1979

Here's the Box-Art which I sincerely believe you WERE referring to ?

171808-12155-pristine.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whereas meantime, BELOW = HERE's the 'Royal/Regal' AIRFIX 1/24th SPITFIRE BOX-ARTWORK, in all her 'Glory' :salute:

111aaaaas.jpg

1aaaaa.JPG

It's AIRFIX kit "No.1201" & was released back in 1970, the year The Beatles broke-up & Jimi Hendrix died... NINE YEARS before 'AZ-H'

Gulp, I'm old enough to actually remember it coming-out, upon 1st-Initial-Release ! - I helped a neighbour's son, build it (He wuz TOO young !)

The 1970 'Box' above, is known (in the trade), as a "Type.3" aka "Red-Stripe", which were from 1965-1972 ; (Some lingered in shops till 1973)

It was "my time" of buying AIRFIX kits by the $h!tload, as we had NO Playstations or suchlike, just our own imagination(s) plus GLUE & 'staples'

(Back then, in 1968/1969/1970/1971 = ALL 'series.1' AIRFIX kits had paper-headers/instructions, STAPLED to a polythene bag)

Health n' safety (thesedays), would "throw a fit" - Cut fingers/thumbs (via staples), plus Glue-sniffing - "Ahhh Yeah Maaaan"

By the way, 1/24th = 'KL-B' was an actual 54 Sqdn 'Hornchurch' Spitfire (my namesake), flown by Al Deere, the New Zealander

I've got a photo' of him somewhere on USB, at RAF Hornchurch, w/Malan/Stanford-Tuck, standing where "TESCO"s is today :confused:

When I find it, I'll "sling it in" to this post - As it's relevant to both 'base' & 'thread' (plus actual pilot of 'KL-B'

Lastly, in either 1970/1971, Morcambe & Wise (Eric Morcambe), did a BBC sketch with THIS actual kit - ("Come-in 'B' for Charlie", etc)

The convenience store on the corner has a small toy section and I noticed it had an empty box that once held baldswood gliders.
I took a closer look the other day, as the box has been empty for quite some time and of all things, they were based on WWII fighters!
So I asked the guybat the counter if I could have the box and he gave it to me - the artwork is reminescent of model kits and there seems to be a majority of Japanese types which is odd, because these gliders come from China.

The one thing I found interesting, was the A6M battling what appears to be an He100!

View attachment 587228View attachment 587229View attachment 587230
I actually bought one of those years ago just for the art. The Zero. The styrofoam plane inside was vaguely airplane shaped. But I thought the art was great.

No, I mean the plane in going to crash and the pilot is ejecting. Wha? Not that I don't approve, but you're not really showing this abomination in a good light, if even possible.

Grasped ...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back