Design Analysis of the Bell Airacobra from Cannon to Tail (1943)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1638324324368.png

Too bad the Brits rejected it after they found that It would out perform their Spitfire V down low, even out turn it. If they had put the same Merlin in it that was used in the first Mustang what would it have been? I think it would have equaled the 1946 US National Air Race champion!
You need to do a little research - the Brtis didn't need a fighter that can perform "down low," they needed something that could fight at altitude and the P-39s they received were found to be dogs. A Merlin in a P-39 would be a waste of time and resources and more than likely not improved anything on the aircraft. Lastly, unlimited air racing has many variables where perceived performance cannot be based on the original stock configuration. The 1946 US National Air Races had Merlin powered Mustangs participate, the rest is history.

What American fighter scored the most kills in WWII?
A tight race between the P-39 and the F6F Hellcat I belive with the P-39 winning out. Both about 5200 victories, Soviet vs USN but the P-39 has about 100 more from the Southwest Pacific. All claims seem to be subject to impossible verification. I am very fond of the Airacobra as one almost gave me a haircut in 1943 in Tulsa.

A tight race between the P-39 and the F6F Hellcat I belive with the P-39 winning out. Both about 5200 victories, Soviet vs USN but the P-39 has about 100 more from the Sourhwest Pacific. All claims seem to be subject to impossible verification. I am very fond of the Airacobra as one almost gave me a haircut in 1943 in Tulsa.
Again not true!!!! There have been many researchers who have verified (and dispelled) aerial victories over the Eastern Front during the past 20/ 30 years, especially after the fall of the former Soviet Union.

Again not true!!!! There have been many researchers who have verified (and dispelled) aerial victories over the Eastern Front during the past 20/ 30 years, especially after the fall of the former Soviet Union.
So how does that stackup against the USN Hellcat claims?

So how does that stackup against the USN Hellcat claims?
As far as accuracy? The USN claims were probably a bit more accurate but in reality all sides overclaimed. IMO the P-39 probably had more aerial kills as it operated in a more populated target rich environment. I'll also add that it was recently discovered that many top Luftwaffe aces grossly overclaimed their victory scores when compared to Soviet loss records

As far as accuracy? The USN claims were probably a bit more accurate but in reality all sides overclaimed. IMO the P-39 probably had more aerial kills as it operated in a more populated target rich environment. I'll also add that it was recently discovered that many top Luftwaffe aces grossly overclaimed their victory scores when compared to Soviet loss records
I would agree. The USN records are claims against the bottom of the sea, and the Japanese claims are hard to believe, Supposedly the Russians required the data plate to be produced causing Pokryshkin, Rechkalov and others to miss claims early so maybe it all works out. The P-39 and growing up on airports inspired me to be a bush/airline/corp pilot for 64 years. I retired last February.

I would agree. The USN records are claims against the bottom of the sea, and the Japanese claims are hard to believe, Supposedly the Russians required the data plate to be produced causing Pokryshkin, Rechkalov and others to miss claims early so maybe it all works out. The P-39 and growing up on airports inspired me to be a bush/airline/corp pilot for 64 years. I retired last February.
And what's your basis for that? Have you ever read "Bloody Shambles"? As far as data plate verification, possibly but I never heard of that, perhaps some of our other members can chime in.

The P-39 gets a lot of puns around here as we once had a former member who relentlessly tried to make it more than what it actually was.

Very cool about your retirement - I hung it up last year.

And what's your basis for that? Have you ever read "Bloody Shambles"? As far as data plate verification, possibly but I never heard of that, perhaps some of our other members can chime in.

The P-39 gets a lot of puns around here as we once had a former member who relentlessly tried to make it more than what it actually was.

Very cool about your retirement - I hung it up last year.
I have read all rhe books I can find by the soviet pilots and american pilots about the P-39. You do agree that the little cobra beat all comers in 1946 and was leading on the final lap in 1947 when he lost the engine. The P-39 cleaned up on the P-51, P38, P-63 and all others with no canopy change or major airframe mods. Mainly a different engine/prop from an experimental King Cobra,
Read Pokryshkin"s books about the data plates. Believe him or not.

I have read all rhe books I can find by the soviet pilots and american pilots about the P-39. You do agree that the little cobra beat all comers in 1946 and was leading on the final lap in 1947 when he lost the engine. The P-39 cleaned up on the P-51, P38, P-63 and all others with no canopy change or major airframe mods
Mainly a different engine/prop from an experimental King Cobra,
The P-39 did great in the 1946 Thompson, but it did have many airframe modifications and a great pilot flying it!

1654713339779.png

Read Pokryshkin"s books about the data plates. Believe him or not.
I will - I've read others as well

I have read all rhe books I can find by the soviet pilots and american pilots about the P-39. You do agree that the little cobra beat all comers in 1946 and was leading on the final lap in 1947 when he lost the engine. The P-39 cleaned up on the P-51, P38, P-63 and all others with no canopy change or major airframe mods. Mainly a different engine/prop from an experimental King Cobra,
Read Pokryshkin"s books about the data plates. Believe him or not. Looks like "Bloody Shambles" is about Brew
You need to do a little research - the Brtis didn't need a fighter that can perform "down low," they needed something that could fight at altitude and the P-39s they received were found to be dogs. A Merlin in a P-39 would be a waste of time and resources and more than likely not improved anything on the aircraft. Lastly, unlimited air racing has many variables where perceived performance cannot be based on the original stock configuration. The 1946 US National Air Races had Merlin powered Mustangs participate, the rest is history.

sters, the Brits and much more than the P-39. I agree that the P-39 and the way we had to operate it was a bad aircraft for the SW Pacific. The Russians operated it completely different. Read their books.

the Brits and much more than the P-39. I agree that the P-39 and the way we had to operate it was a bad aircraft for the SW Pacific. The Russians operated it completely different. Read their books.
I have and then some - we have a huge thread on this forum with many references that beat this subject to death.

The P-39 did great in the 1946 Thompson, but it did have many airframe modifications and a great pilot flying it!

View attachment 672793

I will - I've read others as well
You could stand some research too. The Brits did need aircraft badly but not a low altitude fighter so they passed them on to the Russians who did need them. They preferred the Cobra to the Spitfire and the Mustang and even their LA-5 and LA-7. In spite of that the British later bought the low altidude, Allison powered Mustang. They did evaluate the P-39 and found it to out perform the current Spitfire Mk V below about 14,000 ft. You dismiss the Cobras 1946-47 National Air Race performance where it had minimum airframe mods and mainly a horsepower boost equal to the Mustangs it was running against. A Merlin in the Cobra would likely have given a boost close to the original Mustang, Much of the later Spitfire and Mustang performance boost came from higher fuel octane allowing higher manifold pressure. That helped everyone except the P-39. It never got the engine improvements, just 1200 h.p..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back