**** DONE: 1/72 B-24H “Booby Trap” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't posted in this thread in a wile but I've been slowly working on it. The fuselage is all cleaned up and ready for clear parts. I've also finished the wing joints and clean-up on most of the remaining small parts, but nothing really worth taking a picture of yet.

I haven't posted in this thread in a wile but I've been slowly working on it. The fuselage is all cleaned up and ready for clear parts. I've also finished the wing joints and clean-up on most of the remaining small parts, but nothing really worth taking a picture of yet.

Everything is worth taking a picture of :lol:

Look forward to it!

You guys asked for it so heres the pics.
First pictures shows all the bits I've finished cleaning up and the second one shows the ones that still need a bit of work. The cowlings while pretty good from the front have almost no cowl flap detail so I'll be scribing that in, and the turbo exhausts need to be drilled out.

P7150171.JPG
P7150172.JPG

Last edited:
As I posted in the new books thread I recently bought the excalent reference book Consolidated Mess by Alan Griffith. The book is a well of information on the turret nose models of the B-24, and wile studying it I confirmed the type if waste windows the B-24H-20 had that I had found myself through studying old photos. The bad news is that I realised that the nose of my model is totally wrong! First, it DOES have the emerson nose turret, all B-24H's did, so I'm scrapping the idea of using the A-6B vac turret and going with the kits Emmerson A-15. The problem is that while Academy calls this kit a B-24H, the design of the nose is that which was used for many of the B-24J's and none of the B-24H's. The B-24H, either those made my Ford or by any of the other B-24 manufactures used a nose turret kit provided by Ford which is identified by the "S" shaped panel line to the rear of the turret.

The first two pictures are from profiles I found that show very well the differences between the B-24J that the kit was patterned after and the B-24H which it should be. B-24J is on jeft and B-24H on the right.

I just couldn't let this stand now that I knew the truth, so here's what I have been doing the last few days:

Picture 3 I filled in the bombardiers side windows. Some H's had these but "Booby Trap" was not one of them. I also scribed in the "S" shaped panel line that was typical the Ford nose turret kit. All panel lines forward of this were then filled.

Pictures 4-6 The process of building the shroud to fit to the turret. This was very delicate work and took some time.

Picture 7 the finished nose to compare to the profile pic. The bomb sight window is still not correct, the rear frame being vertical instead of angled, but I will deal with this my masking it at an angle before painting.

40 B-24_cu_40.jpg
52 B-24_cu_52a.jpg
P7270187.JPG
P7270190.JPG
P7270191.JPG
P7270192.JPG
P7270193.JPG
40 B-24_cu_40.jpg
52 B-24_cu_52a.jpg
P7270187.JPG
P7270190.JPG
P7270191.JPG
P7270192.JPG
P7270193.JPG

Last edited:
Very nicely done Glenn, and looks like that book was well worth the investment. When you get a chance, could you e-mail me details of the book please? Methinks it might be worth getting, just in case I decide to do a 1/48th B-24 at some time ......

Thanks guys, I hope that was the last of the mods.

Spent the evening mass producing props, for this one and the Stirling. ...…

P7290200.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back