**** DONE: 1/72 B-24H “Booby Trap” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ahh "When Propellers Attack!" :D

Looking great :) so many props I'd of thought I was a bit drunkie (and I don't drink :O :D)

I'm back at work on Booby Trap after my ride on Witchcraft and a short vacation.
One last (I hope) modification. The B-24H's of the 490th BG had cockpit side armor plate installed along with sliding armored side glass as shown on the first picture. The model had the side armor plate but not an option for the armored glass so I went to work with some clear plastic that looked to be the right thickness for the armored glass. Sorry I didn't take a picture before the masking, but it I didn't think of it until it was done. Hopefully it will look pretty much like the first picture when painted.
The last 2 pictures show some more masking, the last showing how I changed the shape to look more like the windows in the Ford nose modification kit Liberators.
I hope to start paint later tonight with the silver where the de-icing boots were removed.

hpqscan0001.jpg
P8090201.JPG
P8090202.JPG
P8090204.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Glenn. I don't suppose much can be done about the different shape of the windscreen, and I'm guessing this is another area where there are a number of variations.
Now that you've been in a real B-24, can we expect every bolt, bracket and fitting to have the correct serial numbers on them - in 1/72nd scale?!!

That is some neat masking. I just ordered three different sizes of Tamiya masking tape and I'm turfing the blue painters tape. Hopefully my clear parts will turn out better(lots of corrections)

Geo

Good stuff Glenn. I don't suppose much can be done about the different shape of the windscreen, and I'm guessing this is another area where there are a number of variations.
The difference in the windscreen is that in later model B-24s there was a little triangle shaped window in the corner instead of one larger window. The kit part has the triangle window frame as an engraved line so getting rid of it would be difficult.
Now that you've been in a real B-24, can we expect every bolt, bracket and fitting to have the correct serial numbers on them - in 1/72nd scale?!!
I'm just glad I did the bomb bay before I saw the real one, I don't think I would have ever been satisfied with what I could do in 1/72ns scale

That is some neat masking. I just ordered three different sizes of Tamiya masking tape and I'm turfing the blue painters tape. Hopefully my clear parts will turn out better(lots of corrections)
Geo
You'll love the Tamiya tape George, just remember to use a new #11 blade when cutting it. Don't get rid of the blue painters tape though, I still use a ton of it for large area masking next to the Tamiya tape.

That frame for the small, triangular window might polish out, although it would be a long, tedious job, but the shape and angle of the single, larger window, on the real aircraft, is different to the 'multi-paned' version anyway, which would make things even more complicated.

Tamiya tape is Genius :D but it takes a skilled hand to cut it into the appropriate length :) excellent work Glen :D :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back