**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat (Late) - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stencils are done and a right pain in the keester they were. You could barely see them on the backing paper and I was using 3X cheaters and a visor. They are very tiny but legible. Let them dry, gloss coat, weather, flat coat, breakie-offie bits and done

IMG_2860.JPG

Weathering done top-side. The tail surfaces look rough as all of my current flat coats failed me big time. I removed all three and I couldn't repaint without losing decals. In PG today with the family and while they shopped I went on a desperate search. I found two that I haven't tried before and I tried them on the wing walk-ways by the fuselage. They look grey but that's the flash. Un-coated in front. Two coats and the one on the right seems to work the best so far

IMG_2862.JPG

Another test area as this would be the easiest to repaint if things went sideways; not the best photo

IMG_2863.JPG

The clear coats

IMG_2865.JPG

Thanks down-underlings and thumbs. I decided to bite the bullet and coat the uppers to see the flat effect in big scale. I used what I thought tested the best and used The Army Painter Anti-shine Matte Varnish. I was not disappointed. Unless I can find what Wayne uses with cheaper shipping, this will be my go to flat. I'll do a larger test with Vallejo on the bottom

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

This shot shows the result better; a few spots missed as well as a bubble

IMG_2869.JPG

I'll let this dry and start weathering the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back