Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Braunen 4, W.nr.500647 - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
Username: A4k
Name: Evan
Category: 2 - Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Subject: Broad tailed Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, Braunen 4 (W.nr.500647), 7. Staffel II/JG26
Kit (planned):
Academy Fw 190D-9 -may redecide, depending on suitability for conversion.
Accessories:
AML 72 022: Fw 190D-9 Ta 152 type tail conversion (w/ markings for Braunen 4);
Extra Tech O-03: WW II Luftwaffe belt Buckles (PE);
Extra Tech O-18: Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 (PE);
Extra Tech K-03: Junkers Jumo 213;
Oliver Mark 7220: Junkers Jumo 213;
Resin components (poss. Aires): Fw 190 seats, cockpit, and control surfaces;
True Details 72 413: Fw 190A/F seats;
True Details 72 031: Fw 190A-8/D-12 Wheel set.

Ok, this is my (very hopeful) second entry for this Group Build. Always wanted to complete this bird.
Plan: To complete Braunen 4 in stripped and abandoned condition, as she appeared when found at Hustedt, near Celle, Germany, April 1945.

Want this to be accurate. Have two photos of her, and found a third on the net - any other photos or info greatly appreciated!
(May attempt a diorama setting too)

Cheers!
Evan

(Btw, if anyone can rotate the last pic I'd appreciate it!)

STA51931.JPG
STA51933.JPG

Attachments

• STA51934.jpg
    STA51934.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 655
Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys!

Dzieki Wojtek for flipping the last pic upright!

Karl, that would be great, thanks!

Andy, the AML resin tail comes with markings for Braunen 4, including the numbers on the wheel covers:

STA51855.JPG

I have found another profile of the kite in Kagero book of series for Fw190. The camo is quite similar, But the differences are for used colours. The caption there says these were RLM76/99/82/81 on the fuselage and RLM75/82 on wing top and tops of stabilizers and elevators. No camo spots on the fin and rudder. The so-called RLM99 is on the fuselage from the black tail band to the engine department only. The engine cowling at sides and undersides painted with RLM76 like the fin and rudder.

Andy, the AML resin tail comes with markings for Braunen 4, including the numbers on the wheel covers:

Great! The only thing now is the shape of the 4. As Wayne mentioned in an earlier post, EE has a more recent sheet based on Crandall's profile where the top of the vertical bar on the 3 is squared off rather than sloped. However, the profile that appears in "Green Hearts - First in Combat with the Dora 9" by Urbanke states "Brown 4 on fuselage is guesswork based on size, width, and position of other Brown numbers from 7 Staffel......" I don't know if something more has come to light recently - would be interesting to see what the third pic you found reveals. I don't think I've seen it.

Here's a rather poor reproduction of Crandall's Brown 4:

Attachments

• profiles4.jpg
    profiles4.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 577
It's quite similar to the one in the Kagero book.

Here the profile from the Kagero book Monographs No.6 for the Fw190 vol. IV.

Attachments

• Fw190D-9 Brown 4 7JG26.jpg
    Fw190D-9 Brown 4 7JG26.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,732
Nice one Even, I'll start hunting as well.

Edit: Sorry Even, thought I had something the realised that Wojetk got in first.

Last edited:
I would consider Japos profile the most accurate when it comes to Mimetall built Doras, Eagle editions 190D vol 2 also has a correction regarding the new photo.
I can email you the text from Japos 'Dora camouflage and markings part 2' regarding 'brown 4'

PM me an address and I will send it along :)

To date there are 3 known photo's all reproduced here in the thread, the 4 shown in Evan's JaPo link....take a close look at the style of the '4' the diagonal upward portion is slightly curved and not straight.

a personal favourite of mine, still to be done.....look forward to it Evan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back