Found Prop need help ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I need help identifying a prop that was found recently. Aircraft parts were recently examined at the Ulupa'u Crater area which is now part of the MCBH Kaneohe Hawaii firing range in an effort to determine their origins. The parts are from approximately May 1949 when the Navy decommissioned and closed NAS, Kaneohe Bay. The parts and wreckage were determined to have come from various types of Navy aircraft known to have operated from NAS Kaneohe Bay during WWII. The prop was dumped into a gully. The only number found on the side was SK 17070 100. The blades measure 7 feet each. I think it may be from a PBM aircraft. See attached pictures.

Attachments

• Crater MCBH Ulapau aug07 027.jpg
    Crater MCBH Ulapau aug07 027.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Crater MCBH Ulapau aug07 029.jpg
    Crater MCBH Ulapau aug07 029.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Crater MCBH Ulapau aug07 223.jpg
    Crater MCBH Ulapau aug07 223.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 221
No engine is attached to the prop. No data plate. The prop is from a NAVY plane. It could of been attached to a 3350. What I'm trying to deterine what Navy planes it was used on and any other info about the prop.

Well it couldnt have come from a PBM then if its a 3350, the PBM used the the R-2600-22 with three blades in the beginning and then in later models went to the R-2800-34 with 4 blades.

Could that be from a Curtis Helldiver? One of the few planes to keep the spinners on past the early models. Right number of blades, and the spinner shape looks right.

Could that be from a Curtis Helldiver? One of the few planes to keep the spinners on past the early models. Right number of blades, and the spinner shape looks right.

Wish we new for sure the engine model, If from what we are looking at is indeed a 3350 then that would also rule out the helldiver and the Curtis Seahawk. The helldiver started out with the R-2600 and later went to the R-2800. The sea hawk had the R-1820 with 4 blades.

If it is a 3350 then Im wondering if this is the prop and engine from a early model Skyraider. The proto flew for the first time on March 18, 1945. From the comments above the parts could be from 1947 which means it could fit into the puzzle. Currently looking for the radius of the propeller for a skyraider. If its 14' the this could be are bird because the blades are 7 feet long.

Best I can give at the moment :oops:

Well depending on how accurate his dimentions are and the data here is the radius.