Generation War on Netflix

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
this has been called the German "Band of Brothers". it is in German with English subtitles....I haven't watched it yet but the trailer looks good.

Berlin, 1941. Five friends eager to become heroes in an adventure that will change the face of Europe - and that will forever change them as well. Level-headed, highly decorated officer Wilhelm is off to the eastern front with his younger brother Friedhelm, a sensitive dreamer more interested in literature than warfare. Deeply in love with Wilhelm is Charlotte, a young nurse who looks forward to serving in the Wehrmacht, also on the eastern front. While Greta is a talented singer who longs to become another Marlene Dietrich, her Jewish boyfriend Viktor still cannot convince his parents to leave Germany... Valor and courage come to the fore, but also betrayal - of values, beliefs, humanity. Friedhelm turns into a soulless killing machine... Wilhelm deserts his troops and is court-martialed... Charlotte's Nazi ideology crumbles when she betrays a Jewish nurse helping the German army... Greta obtains papers for Viktor's escape by selling herself to an SS colonel. They and millions of others wanted to be heroes; but none of them could imagine what the war would ultimately do to them and to the rest of the world.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmyGPX23px4

I saw this as 'Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter' a while ago. I'd definitely say watch it. It does blur a few lines, which caused some adverse comment in Germany, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Some of the combat scenes are a bit 'Band of Brothers' like.
Cheers
Steve

I watched 2 episodes of Generation War last night. it is very good....tho probably a bit risqué for the younger audience. there is no nudity but some graphic scenes nonetheless. each episode was about an hour and a half long. it has a lot of twists and turns. when you think someone has bought the farm it takes a spin in a new direction. the battle scenes are pretty good... well written and well acted. I highly suggest it. I will be watching the rest of the episodes over the next week or so.

I watched whole series some time ago, generally speaking it was good however I certainly disagree with some scenes and how director decided to present them.
Also this drama has caused a great discussions in Poland and was turned under heavy critics which included some diplomatic comments from Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, mainly due to the way polish resistance was presented (the train scene, the way Jewish people were treated, etc.) which in fact had no reflection in the reality. Heaviest accusations were in such form that it was a deliberate way of presenting the false events.
I personally like acting but nonetheless this drama was highly controversial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back