GrauGeist's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the compliments, glad everyone enjoyed the latest photos!

Merv, there's several ways to capture lightning without the risk of being BBQ'd! :lol:

Perhaps I'll post a few pointers in the Photography Tips Tricks page to try next time a Thunderstorm rolls through your area :thumbleft:

This month is going to be pretty exciting for those that like astronomical events...we've already had the Lunar Eclipse last week, but coming up, on the 23rd, will be the Solar eclipse! This should prove to be pretty exciting and hopefully the skies will be cloudless like they were for the Lunar event.

Anyway, I shot a whole series of Lunar eclipse photos, and still haven't gotten around to going through and finding ones I like :lol:

I did pick one to post over at facebook, so I'll post it here along with another and perhaps post the others soon!

Anyway, the first was taken at 3:43 a.m. and had a shutter speed of a half second, the second photo was taken at 3:58 a.m. and I kept the shutter open a little longer (full second) so that it would bring out more color.

To the naked eye, it was a darker hue...almost the color of embers in a banked fire.

IMGP38071-ed[720x479].jpg

IMGP38086-ed[720x479].jpg

Eric recently posted some great shots taken with his iPhone, and so I thought I might post a few taken by my iPhone (it's a little older: 4S).

Like it's been mentioned, the iPhone has a great built-in camera (defaults is f/2.4 - 4mm), but the camera is more set up for videos and portrait than it is for landscapes and similar subjects. But with a little practice, it can produce some nice results. One of the tricks I learned, is to "tap" an area of the landscape that is brighter (as long as it's relative to the subject's focus) and this will darken the image, preventing the typical "washout" that almost seems to be a default for an iPhone's landscape shot.

The other thing I have found, is that the iPhone can produce some good quality Macro shots, too.

So here's a few good ones that I have managed to capture over the past few years:

f/2.4 - 4mm - 1/120 second
IPN 058[720x540].jpg

IPN 091[720x540].jpg

f/2.4 - 4mm - 1/159 second
IPN 113[720x540].jpg

IPN 284[720x540].jpg

IPN 313[720x540].jpg

f/2.4 - 4mm - 1/131 second
IPN 497[720x540].jpg

f/2.4 - 4mm - 1/1783 second
IPN 569[720x540].jpg

Last edited:
Nice job with the 4S camera. My previous was a 4, and I struggled with the camera on the 4. The 6 has a more docile camera, but the tap on the light part is a good tip. I have had some blown out highlights with shots with clouds.
Would you believe I learned this trick by accident? :lol:

It was one of those occasions when I didn't have my gear with me and I was trying to nail a sunset and I got frustrated and poked the brightest part of the scene while hurling expletives...and Voila! :evil4:

And while I may not be a master (I am the perpetual student) of all camera types as Shinpachi graciously suggested, I have had success with my Kodak C143 point-n-shoot, using the manual mode (this is the PnS that was always in the glovebox of my car).

Perhaps I'll post some of those photos here, too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back