Israel vs Hamas Conflict 2023

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe Israel has tried. Nothing I can provide any research on. Over the years, I've read about outreach programs and thought it pointless, no matter how well meaning.
I've said many times to friends and family that you can't reason with a rabid dog.
Would it be safe to say Hamas and its allies have been calling for genocide for at least decades? There have always been Jews in what was once Palestine. Some people seem to forget that. Anwar Sadat reached out and he was murdered for it. Israel and fellow Zionists have never called for genocide. Israel does not have genocide as official policy.
When organizations call for our destruction, we take it real seriously. It stopped being mere paranoia a long time ago. Gilda Meir said "We will not let ourselves be killed so as to be thought well of."
To quote an American:
"That's all I can stands and I can't stands no more."

Violence ain't solving anything there, either. That has been made apparent over those same seven decades, and many more than that. Both sides have bought into the cycle of violence.

We do have one instance, from 1977, where Arabs and Israelis sat down, talked it out, and came to peace. It's a shame neither side has the current leadership with insight to pursue that avenue.
I agree.

Would offer the modifier that two men of conviction were able to craft an agreement - that only lasted temporarily because the agreement basics didn't survive to be embraced by large maorities on either side.

'Peace' is an abstraction. 'My Land, My God' is visceral

It has happen but not often and on a grand scale.

Right. So both sides have been shitty to each other. I didn't realize that morality could be quantified, though.

I'd also argue that the Gaza blockade has not only resulted in the deaths of innocent Palestinians, but also was an act of collective punishment, which I'm pretty sure is itself a war crime. So this idea of simon-pure Israelis and beastly Palestinians is simply not the case.

I do believe Israel has tried. Nothing I can provide any research on. Over the years, I've read about outreach programs and thought it pointless, no matter how well meaning.
I've said many times to friends and family that you can't reason with a rabid dog.
Would it be safe to say Hamas and its allies have been calling for genocide for at least decades? There have always been Jews in what was once Palestine. Some people seem to forget that. Anwar Sadat reached out and he was murdered for it. Israel and fellow Zionists have never called for genocide. Israel does not have genocide as official policy.
When organizations call for our destruction, we take it real seriously. It stopped being mere paranoia a long time ago. Gilda Meir said "We will not let ourselves be killed so as to be thought well of."
To quote an American:
"That's all I can stands and I can't stands no more."
Sigh. I don't have my abacus handy but would speculate that same magnitude of Palestinian/Hamas have been removed from play as Israeli/IDF with zero end in sight.

Without taking Palestinians side in this discussion, I am reminded that lands once roamed by American Indians and Incas were shocked that the land that all their generations hunted and lived on, and called 'home', suddenly wasn't - and behaved badly by US Government and the Spanish Monarch's standards of civilized behavior. Those examples are of "Kill until behavior improves'

Is there a parallel here?

Ethics never entered the conversations.

Every conquering powerful nation state was confronted by the same dilemma - assimilate or displace/kill. I would point to G.Khan as the most 'productive' example of the latter. Israel wavers between both. Palestinians are one dimensional.

BTW - while NOT amusing to contemplate the abstract nature of war crimes. codified as they are, it IS amusing to speculate that if there is an arbitor and his name is God, then he/she presumably with the vision, and the span of attention to parse mankind's foibles against each other in thought and deed - could take 'fair and balanced' action on same -

Then Mankind as a collective might just get down to the'magic 500,000 population' quite rapidly....

Sigh. I don't have my abacus handy but would speculate that same magnitude of Palestinian/Hamas have been removed from play as Israeli/IDF with zero end in sight.

Without taking Palestinians side in this discussion, I am reminded that lands once roamed by American Indians and Incas were shocked that the land that all their generations hunted and lived on, and called 'home', suddenly wasn't - and behaved badly by US Government and the Spanish Monarch's standards of civilized behavior. Those examples are of "Kill until behavior improves'

Is there a parallel here?

Ethics never entered the conversations.

Every conquering powerful nation state was confronted by the same dilemma - assimilate or displace/kill. I would point to G.Khan as the most 'productive' example of the latter. Israel wavers between both. Palestinians are one dimensional.
A confrontation is inevitable when a civilization meets a stone-age people. Indians in North America were anything but peaceful stewards of the land. Their philosophy was "If you are strong enough, take it".

The classic two reasons for displacing (or elimination) squatters your definition) are:

1. "The Will of God" and/or
2. "Might is Right" plus my all time Classic -

"We need it (living space) more than you do" works nicely with both 1. & 2..

It's not outreach that's needed, but full Israel citizenship and equal representation in the Israeli constitution for those Arabs in the occupied territories. Arabs within Israel proper already have these rights, but Israel refuses to offer this to the occupied territories because then Arabs would outnumber Jews.

I agree.

Would offer the modifier that two men of conviction were able to craft an agreement - that only lasted temporarily because the agreement basics didn't survive to be embraced by large maorities on either side.

'Peace' is an abstraction. 'My Land, My God' is visceral

Well, there's been no wars between Israel and Egypt since then. That one helluva lot better than this shitshow, I think we can agree.

It's not outreach that's needed, but full Israel citizenship and equal representation in the Israeli constitution for those Arabs in the occupied territories. Arabs within Israel proper already have these rights, but Israel refuses to offer this to the occupied territories because then Arabs would outnumber Jews.
Israelis would be fools to offer citizenship to those who want their extermination.o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back