Ki-61 and He-100 related?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you, krieghund, for the photos of the Ki-61 structures. The search for views of an "unskinned" Ki-61 engine cowl - which is to say, views of the completed structure only - continues, but one of your photos, the starboard side view, clearly shows not only one of the longitudinal beams forming the port side of the cowling, but another item similar to that on the He100, the rectangular hatch on the starboard side of the cowling.
A photo in Rene' Francillon's compendium, of a Japanese-built version of a DB 601A, shows the type of front engine mount adapter used in the Ki-61. This object was essentially identical in size and shape to the adapter used in the He100.

By the time the Ki-60 and Ki-61 were being developed, Japan had all but completely stopped building direct copies of non-indigenous airframes. Two of their primary suppliers of foreign technology, Germany and England, were at war, and war with another, the US, had become a distinct possibility. In a word, they'd recognized the need for self-reliance, and as such aircraft as the Zero and Nell will attest, they'd become quite good at it. That they'd stopped building copies of foreign, front-line aircraft does not mean however, that they'd chosen to ignore developments in foreign technology. Nor did Dr. Vogt's relationship with Kawasaki preclude ties with Heinkel.

Not incidentally, I've never found a photo of the engine bay in the Ki-60, but I do have a rudimentary factory drawing showing that the engine mounts were probably identical to those in the Bf 109.

Here is the only picture I could find of the engine mount to the Ki-60 it is rather poor but it is from this book

Attachments

• Ki60-DB601.jpg
    Ki60-DB601.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 277
The one thing that people seem to ignore is that ideas where "borrowed" and influenced and used back and forth across international borders, racers, oceans and businesses. Flush riveting was first used in one place and standardized in another...the same goes for mono wings, enclosed cockpits and retractable landing gear...ect. At that time inline engine fighters where the latest fashion in pursuit planes... Japan wanted one. I believe the idea was to get one into service as quickly as possible...

It seems strange to pick apart the engine mount and its influence...if you are using a DB engine you mount it to the airframe the way it was designed to...seems simple to me. No big mystery.

It seems strange to pick apart the engine mount and its influence...if you are using a DB engine you mount it to the airframe the way it was designed to...seems simple to me. No big mystery.

The point I am making is the Ki-61 and He100 are directly related in many respects that are only peculiar to each other.

With regards to the engine mounts this is the most prominent feature they share. Count the number of aircraft which used the DB60x series engines (quite a large number). They all used the bearer mounting style on the left like the Ki60. Why is it then only the Ki61 and He100 used the integral fuselage mount on the right? The Kawasaki followed everyone with regards to mounting the engine until the arrival of the He100 in Japan. Even the other Japanese manufacturers followed the bearer type of mount (Suisei Seiran)

Attachments

• ki60-ki61-engine mounts.bmp
    668 KB · Views: 241
Here is the only picture I could find of the engine mount to the Ki-60
No, it isn't. The Polish language caption actually says:
"Daimler Benz DB601A engine on a test bench at its parent factory. Exhaust stacks are removed from the engine. These engines were to power Ki-60s."
So what it actually shows is obviously a Messerschmitt engine mount, and the only connection between this picture and Kawasaki Ki-60 is engine type.

Last edited:
No, it isn't. The Polish language caption actually says:
"Daimler Benz DB601A engine on a test bench at its parent factory. Exhaust stacks are removed from the engine. These engines were to power Ki-60s."
So what it actually shows is obviously a Messerschmitt engine mount, and the only connection between this picture and Kawasaki Ki-60 is engine type.

Well Nuts, let's try this..still can't find a Ki-60 naked but here is two profile drawings from a book on Japanese X-planes. It shows the standard engine mount bearers on the Ki-60 and the integral mount on the Ki-61. Still looking for a picture to post though....

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back