Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The F7F Tigercat is above and beyond the most beautiful plane in my opinion, and it sounds beautiful with those two Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radials :D
Did they try making it out of wood?

This is a personal opinion question and no wrong answer. The Spitfires wing makes it commonly regarded as the most beautiful aircraft of WWII. The Corsair's inverted gull wing always does a little something for me. Some may like the 12 .50's on a B-17. IMO, these are mine.

#1 - Corsair
#2 - P-38
#3 - P-40
#4 - Fw-190
#5 - Me-262

plus many others........
That's a great list

I would like to mention an aircraft that everyone here overlooked, especially those that voted for the Mosquito - the De Havilland D.H. 103 Hornet. None left, unfortunately, but you've got to love a plane that could keep up with a Spitfire with only one engine running and that could be looped with both engines off. And just look at it!

Attachments

• De_Havilland_Hornet_F1.jpg
    De_Havilland_Hornet_F1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 193
I would like to mention an aircraft that everyone here overlooked, especially those that voted for the Mosquito - the De Havilland D.H. 103 Hornet. None left, unfortunately, but you've got to love a plane that could keep up with a Spitfire with only one engine running and that could be looped with both engines off. And just look at it!
Sadly it wasn't operational in WW2

Sadly it wasn't operational in WW2

Neither was the Tigercat. And, really, RADIAL engines are beautiful? Efficient, yes, but certainly rarely elegant (the Republic F-12 was a great try, however).

And, really, RADIAL engines are beautiful? Efficient, yes, but certainly rarely elegant

Hi mikemike,
Your comment is well taken but I believe JJWilson was talking about the sound they made. Radial engines (and their associated cowlings) have a business-like quality to them, lacking the overall grace of a finally streamlined Merlin or Allison. But one can still admit that those beautifully-shaped engine nacelles of the Tigercat were as close to elegance as any radial engine ever achieved.... :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back