Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did anyone mention the Swedish FFVS J-22 yet?

113J22_113-1358.jpg

I always thought that was a nice looking plane.
Performed well, too, from what I understand.

Elvis

Maybe... and I've never really seen a photo that does the machine justice.

my fingerprints might also be on the logbooks...

Amsel, what about the Yak 3, 11? they're not exactly ugly aircraft. I will give you that point about the Polikarpovs though

You've flown the La-9?

Wasn't that an attempt to marry a P-51 with a Griffon engine?
Aussie modification, right?

Elvis

Never heard of an attempt outside of Reno racing to do that with a P-51 but you may be thinking of the Commonwealth CA-15, which was in fact an entirely new design with no commonality with the P-51?

This aircraft in the photo, the MB 5, was a product of Martin Baker, more usually associated with ejector seats and was also utterly unrelated to the P-51. It was evolved independantly through M-B's experience with their MB 2 and MB 3 fighters and 'could have' been a superb service fighter if not for the end of the war. It was designed not only to be phenominally fast (460mph plus) but was also designed to be extremely easy to maintain and repair in the field.

You've flown the La-9?

Sadly, no, just took care of the paperwork for certification here in NZ, hence my fingerprints are only on the aircraft logbooks. Closest I have come is to sit in the cockpit, a few years ago now.

Besides, I would be extremely lucky to get that thing off the ground and back again in one piece!!

Last edited:
Never heard of an attempt outside of Reno racing to do that with a P-51 but you may be thinking of the Commonwealth CA-15, which was in fact an entirely new design with no commonality with the P-51?

This aircraft in the photo, the MB 5, was a product of Martin Baker, more usually associated with ejector seats and was also utterly unrelated to the P-51. It was evolved independantly through M-B's experience with their MB 2 and MB 3 fighters and 'could have' been a superb service fighter if not for the end of the war. It was designed not only to be phenominally fast (460mph plus) but was also designed to be extremely easy to maintain and repair in the field.
:oops: My bad. Thanks for the info.

Elvis

The Skyraider is a beast, but a good looking crate. With all that mud it's hauling in that photo, it doesn't look like it would fly.

No arguments on the 'beast' description for the Skyraider. But I just can't find an angle that I would call 'beautiful'.

Hmmm....For me, the Spit or P-51D.

As to those who chose the F4U, I can only say that beauty is, indeed in the eye of the beholder.

This is an F2G model with the background photoshopped in (hence even more beautiful in real life) so I wonder what prescription of eyeglasses you have what you really need?

I do think the spit is a beautiful plane but I would never fly a merlin into combat if I had a choice of something with a radial engine. Nick a coolant line and the engine is toast. Many are the stories of these big radials sustaining what would be catastrophic damage for most other types of engines and still coming home.

That capability adds beauty in my opinion.

Attachments

• Super_clouds_lo_res.jpg
    Super_clouds_lo_res.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 138
This is an F2G model with the background photoshopped in (hence even more beautiful in real life) so I wonder what prescription of eyeglasses you have what you really need?

I do think the spit is a beautiful plane but I would never fly a merlin into combat if I had a choice of something with a radial engine. Nick a coolant line and the engine is toast. Many are the stories of these big radials sustaining what would be catastrophic damage for most other types of engines and still coming home.

That capability adds beauty in my opinion.

I've never denied the frailties of liquid cooled engines, or how good an airplane the F4U is. It is one of my favorites since watching Black Sheep Squadron when I was a child, but it is awkward. As I understand the thread, we were looking for the most aesthetically pleasing designs, and the F4U aint it.

As to your example, it is a lovely paint job on an ugly airplane.

A matter of opinion I guess paint job or no I think she's beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back