Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

this is easy for me, I've always loved the Russian aircraft, especially the MiG-29 and Sukhoi SU-37. Photo's don't do these bird justice

Attachments

• mig29_12.jpg
    mig29_12.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 72
  • su37.jpg
    su37.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 71
Okay. For those of us who love the 757 and her pretty legs, this has to be one of the most B-E-A-U-tiful turboprops ever made. And I do love turboprops. And such long legs. Pretty. :love4:

Some nifty videos on youtube like:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUvdTJRh48

Parts of this one were edited down to 2:25 with Deodato music but that one seems to have disappeared. Good thing I got a copy.

Ken

Now this one is gone also. Try:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFn3XVOxEz8

Last edited:
KK,

You must have better eyes than I.
Both planes look the same, to me.

Elvis

IIRC the earlier Allisons used epicyclic reduction gear with the lower thrust line (I believe in line with the crankshaft), and the later ones used spur gear reduction with the raised thrust line. Spur gear could handle the increased power better.

The P-51 D and the Me 109 G are some pretty birds. I really love the lines and nose's of those two.

I love the Yak-3 VK-107. Here's a modern Yak-3 with an Allison engine. This pic was given to me by the pilot and owner, though he's since sold the plane.

YAK-3.jpg

A little known bird that never made it into mass production, the Polikarpov I-17, is really iconic in my opinion. Polikarpov's planes are all gorgeous, even the little Rata, but I think he really went above and beyond with the I-17.

aa18.jpg

i-17_1r.jpg

How about that Bugatti aeroplane? impractical maybe, but utterly gorgeous.

Nightwitch,

The I-17 looks like someone took an I-16 and gave it the "P-40" treatment, and then some.
Does it share any parts with the I-16, or is it completely its own thing?

Elvis

Ah, Marcel (and others) beat me to it, so I'll just post another pic of one. This is an actual L-4, though.
The blue plane is an Auster J-1. I think this one dates from the 50's.
I've always been especially fond of both of these particular pictures of these planes.

Elvis

Attachments

• PiperCub035(L-4Grasshopper).jpg
    PiperCub035(L-4Grasshopper).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 68
  • AusterJ-1.jpg
    AusterJ-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 81
for wwI: Fokker Dr.I
for wwII: Spitfire, Me-109, Ju-87, B-17
modern era: A-6 intruder, the F-14 and the almighty F-16

Nightwitch,

The I-17 looks like someone took an I-16 and gave it the "P-40" treatment, and then some.
Does it share any parts with the I-16, or is it completely its own thing?

Elvis

Sorry I missed this. As far as I am aware, the I-17 is a completely new design. Obviously, it borrows from the I-16 in terms of styling, as it was designed by the same guy, but I don't think it extends any further than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back