Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Harald Penrose, Westland's chief test pilot, loved to fly this odd aircraft, that had for a while self castering mainwheels, so could behave a bit like a B-52 at taking off, rolling down the runway askew, the nose pointing at the wind even before take-off!

According to Harald, the idea was that its four-cannon gun turret would be used to strafe the beaches during D-day, but the idea was dropped so no production was started. Eventually, it was turned back into a normal Lysander, if my memory serves me right (its been almost 50 years since I read Harald's memoirs)! Guns were never installed, by the way.

Hi

I am not sure how 'real' the name for the Westland Lysander P.12 as quoted 'Wendover' actually is. The Wiki page mentions it quoting p.34-35 of 'Unconventional Aircraft' by Peter M Bowers (1984), however, books I have on Westland Aircraft and Lysander articles that mention the P.12, dating both before and after 1984, appear not to use this name. It is common on the internet, especially modellers sites, that does not mean that it is true. Does anyone have the actual quote that mentions this as an unofficial name? The name itself is slightly problematic as 'Wendover' (the nearest rail station to RAF Halton) seems an odd choice, especially as an unofficial name for another variation of the Lysander with an under-fuselage gun position (from the same time period) was 'The Pregnent Perch', 'Wendover', in comparison, appears rather 'poor' for an unofficial name.
Its design was nothing to do with D-Day of course, but could have been used to strafe English beaches during a German invasion with its four .303 inch guns. However, it was mainly to test out the 'Delanne-type tandem wing configuration, which also appears in the Westland bomber design for Specification B.8/41, probably not a coincidence.

Mike

The Ami 6 doesn't even have the "ugly cute" think going on, as does the 2CV. On the other hand, the Traction AvantView attachment 613933(By Traction.fr - Oberentzen 2007, Public Domain, File:Tractionfr02.jpg - Wikimedia Commons) looks quite nice.
And, of course, the Bugatti Atlantic was the most beautiful car ever made.
On the other hand, one may be inclined to think that the French aircraft industry (possibly especially Amiot) had been taught design by people who were expelled, with great prejudice, from art school.
Frenchs had a tendence to build very "advanced on time" things (cars like Ami 6/8,or buildings like Carles de Gaulle Airport),and on the other hand bizarre things like some aircraft and trains with rubber wheels, and a plethora of such things.

BTW I owed 2 Ami-8 and is a very nice little car ,not fast of course since it sports the same 2CV engine on a heavier but more aerodynamic body.

The AT-9 Jeep

Attachments

• 1614627615274.png
    1614627615274.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 55

This goes to show how beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder: I love the looks of the Bréguet 460 Vultur; I'd describe it as 'handsome', not 'beautiful' however. In a similar vein I also think the A-10 is a handsome aircraft: a bit like Jack Palance. You'd never call him ugly (or beautiful either), but handsome seems to work.

And I'd also suggest that 'weird' or 'quirky' don't equate to "most unattractive".

My list of most unattractive aircraft of WW2 would start with the Grumman F5F Wildcat, then Curtiss SO3C Seamew and Blackburn Roc. But even those are more "not very elegant" than outright ugly. Maybe familiarity has given all of these types a break?

Frenchs had a tendence to build very "advanced on time" things (cars like Ami 6/8,or buildings like Carles de Gaulle Airport),and on the other hand bizarre things like some aircraft and trains with rubber wheels, and a plethora of such things.

BTW I owed 2 Ami-8 and is a very nice little car ,not fast of course since it sports the same 2CV engine on a heavier but more aerodynamic body.
I have happy childhood memories of the silent comfort of the Paris Metro rubber tyred trains running on wooden rails, especially after the rattling old iron wheeled ones with hard wooden third class seats. I did miss the hiss and watching the exposed pistons closing the doors too.

Personally I find the Handley Page Hampton to be just hideous. The big nose makes me think it would have the shape of something like a Soviet DB-3, but then it has the scrawniest little stupid tail. (And they sucked as bombers too.)

View attachment 775554
Can't stand the Ju88 or Swedish B18 either.

And the Handley Page Hampton's fuselage is only 3 feet wide.

View attachment 775556
First aircraft model I ever built

Personally I find the Handley Page Hampton to be just hideous. The big nose makes me think it would have the shape of something like a Soviet DB-3, but then it has the scrawniest little stupid tail. (And they sucked as bombers too.)

View attachment 775554
Can't stand the Ju88 or Swedish B18 either.

And the Handley Page Hampton's fuselage is only 3 feet wide.

View attachment 775556

Different folks, different strokes. :D

I think the Ju 88 is rather attractive, in its own way.

I'll give you the Hampton though. Odd looking ugly duckling. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back