Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And no TBDs. Is there any justice in the Universe? At least we have an actual Battle of Midway SBD.
The most unattractive plane of WW II is the Safety Plane. At least one attacked and destroyed a bridge in China.

And no TBDs. Is there any justice in the Universe? At least we have an actual Battle of Midway SBD.
The most unattractive plane of WW II is the Safety Plane. At least one attacked and destroyed a bridge in China.
There is talk of trying to recover the aircraft found on or near the wreck of Lady Lex.

I would imagine they'd have to keep the B-36 outside.
Wish they would bring it in, aren't many left, and they've got amazing history. The planes at the Grissom AFB Museum here in Indiana all the planes are outside, I can post some pictures from it if anyone liked, and there is a pretty ugly plane there haha.

Wish they would bring it in, aren't many left, and they've got amazing history. The planes at the Grissom AFB Museum here in Indiana all the planes are outside, I can post some pictures from it if anyone liked, and there is a pretty ugly plane there haha.
By all means post, good sir and I agree that these rare planes be stored indoors.

Vickers Wellesley is a contender.

image-38.png

Gentlemen:

I didn't go through all 22 pages of this topic but so I hope it doesn't appear redundant. Here's my take of ugly but beautiful ( to me ).

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpeg
    IMG_8245.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8244.jpeg
    IMG_8244.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 5
Considering that Vickers-Supermarine made the beautiful Spitfire, it's surprising that the same conglomerate made the ugly, kit-plane like Vickers Venom.

First flight June 1936.

venom-10.jpg

Meanwhile, three months earlier the firm's Spitfire takes its first flight in March 1936. At which point the Vickers Venom should have been binned.

LOG-prototype-spitfire-K5054-in-flight-IWM-HU-1659.jpg

Last edited:
Considering that Vickers-Supermarine made the beautiful Spitfire, it's surprising that the same conglomerate made the ugly, kit-plane like Vickers Venom.

First flight June 1936.

View attachment 775722

Meanwhile, three months earlier the firm's Spitfire takes its first flight in March 1936. At which point the Vickers Venom should have been binned.

View attachment 775723
The Vickers Venom is one of my favourites.

The Vickers Venom is one of my favourites.
It's an odd thing that two wings of the same company were each working on an eight gun fighter for the RAF. It seems like such a needless duplication of effort and waste of resources, time and money when instead the Vickers division could be expediting the Wellington program (also first flying in 1936, same as the Spitfire and Venom).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back