On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, for that shot, Scotty reversed polarity on two of the warp drives, which enabled the 'Shrink Drive' to be engaged, thereby allowing the craft to 'shape shift' to the required dimensions to clear the hangar. Of course, this meant that speed was greatly reduced, allowing the photographer to capture an otherwise impossible shot ..........

You just beat me to it

No, for that shot, Scotty reversed polarity on two of the warp drives, which enabled the 'Shrink Drive' to be engaged, thereby allowing the craft to 'shape shift' to the required dimensions to clear the hangar. Of course, this meant that speed was greatly reduced, allowing the photographer to capture an otherwise impossible shot ..........

You just beat me to it

I think this is a bit TOO low!

10751970_10204367414458685_1094688168_n.jpg

For the George Giboney / Rapid Travel crash above, con rod failed and killed the engine. This was an incredibly windy day with bad gusts. To make matters worse, the wind managed to come from a direction where every runway had a bad crosswind. I think runway 14 was a better option based on location, but runway 26 was better for the wind. George went for and made it to rwy 26, but at a bad angle. He went off the side of the rwy and then was launched back into the air by a berm. The wind quickly brought one wing back to earth. The plane cartwheeled twice and came to rest on its gear. The front of the plane was completely ripped away and left George sitting in the cockpit with nothing in front of him--his feet dangling off the front of the wing. It is amazing that he walked away.

Below is in-cockpit footage of the crash (the stop action is a bit tedious in parts). You can see that George was lucky the engine did not come in on him. You can also see his glasses make their flight for freedom from 4:40 to 4:45. I believe the glasses were found the next day.

As a side note, the other Thunder Mustang in the race ground looped on landing because of wind. The Unlimited race, which was next, was cancelled because of wind. The consensus from the pilots was that they could takeoff, race, and land, but handling maydays with the wind was too unpredictable.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQkO_iRb_Y

Users who are viewing this thread

Back