On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is, in fact, a 90% scaled replica (and a damn-good one at that) and the info is:
Supermarine Aircraft Spitfire Mk26B 19-5410 c/n 068, built in 2007

Here's a much better photo of it at YWSG (apparently taken at the same time as the one I posted above, by a different photographer)

spitXXVIb[800].jpg

Composite shot, using a model. Look at the landing gear main doors, the tail wheel, landing lamps and, of course, the prop. the latter is stationary, and has been 'blurred' in 'Photoshop' or a similar programme.
It's well done and effective though.

I saw this one on Tumblr the other evening and it didn't look quite right, but I didn't spend a much time looking at it.

The other 'giveaway' is the background. Although the lighting is fairly close in regards to the background photograph and the model, and the pose is quite realistic, the landscape immediately indicates that the photo was taken in Autumn, or perhaps just before spring, with the trees being bare of foliage, and the grass pale.
By that period of 1944, or early 1945, the Typhoons, and other Allied aircraft would not normally be wearing full AEAF stripes, just lower fuselage stripes, if any - and they certainly wouldn't be clean, neat and tidy.
But as I stated earlier, overall it's well done.

did we see this one yet?

The photo caption says (in VO): "Lower than a snake." This is not entirely true but it really should not go lower ... at least without leaving something. Republic P-47N-15-RE "Thunderbolt" # 44-88908, date and place unknown.

p47_16.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back