P-51 Mustang III - Vasilios Vassiliades - 'Vass' (1920-1945)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, Wurger i dont understand what you mean. The photo you see is a dry fit so the rail is not at the correct position. What i am going to do is to glue the rail at the same height with the fuselage side of the cockpit. Was that the right way? I dont have a photo from inside the cockpit showing the inner face of the rails to understand if they were at the same height or a bit above from the side of cockpit. The problem is that Tamiya have not even think about this small detail ( i mean the fillet) so the small fillet that i added is...small. That is why you see this difference. As for the width of the rail i used a strip of 0.5mm which means 24mm in 1:1 scale which i think is ok comparing with your photoes. If you have any more info or cockpit photos of those mustangs showing the sides of the cockpit please share to make a conclusion.
Nevertheless thank you very much for your comment.

John

I undestand it is the dry fit. But you added the white strips for filling the aeras of cockpit sides right?. Looking at your pictures ( especially the second one in the post #19) I've gotten an impression that these white strips were of a rectangle shape. In fact these fillings made by Anglishmen were of a wedge shape. The rails for conopy sliding were fixed to top edges of the fillings. This causes the rail axis is not parallel to the previous edges of the fuselage sides for the US conopy. As a result, the front of the rail is a little bit up than the rear one.

I undestand it is the dry fit. But you added the white strips for filling the aeras of cockpit sides right?. Looking at your pictures ( especially the second one in the post #19) I've gotten an impression that these white strips were of a rectangle shape. In fact these fillings made by Anglishmen were of a wedge shape. The rails for conopy sliding were fixed to top edges of the fillings. This causes the rail axis is not parallel to the previous edges of the fuselage sides for the US conopy. As a result, the front of the rail is a little bit up than the rear one.

Now i understand what you mean. If you look at the small size pics at post #1 you will see that also my fillings are of a wedge shape as wedge as the shape of the fuselage permitted me. I just followed the lines of the kit. Anyway i got your point, the problem is that if i follow the right way i will cover the small handle(?) at the left side behind the windows.

John

Now i understand what you mean. If you look at the small size pics at post #1 you will see that also my fillings are of a wedge shape as wedge as the shape of the fuselage permitted me. I just followed the lines of the kit. Anyway i got your point, the problem is that if i follow the right way i will cover the small handle(?) at the left side behind the windows.

John

I seen now and grasped your point too. I have encoutered the problem when making my card model of Mustang Mk.III. Also, a few guys here met themself with the same problem making plastic kits of the Mustang and using these sidewalls shown in your pictures. Please don't get me wrong but the port wall is a little bit incorrect at the area. The handle should have been put farther into forward and a little bit down. As a result it was below the front windscreen. Here a couple of shots....

Hist%20P-51B%20Cockpit.jpg

Picture1-16.png

download.axd

download.axd

download.axd

Last edited:
John, note that when the British 'Malcolm' hood was fitted to both USAAF and RAF P51B/C, that the rails were fitted outside of the fuselage, to allow clearance for the canopy, and were not flush and in line with the original join line of the factory hinged canopy. This was, of course, to allow the moulded hood to slide back, over the rear decking.
The rails were very basic, with those 'discs' being simple bearings to allow the canopy to slide freely. The forward 'wedges' were simply fillets to blend the front edge of each rail into the fuselage, preventing turbelance, drag, and the possibility of the rail being dislodged by the slipstream.

Wojtek, there is no way to get you wrong my friend, the main reason that i post my build is that, to hear opinions, comments and any mistakes to be revealed. At which handle are you referring to? I presume something at the port sidewall of the cockpit but i did not understand! Me by saying (probably wrong term) ''handle'' i was referring to the small oval detail at the port fuselage where the rail ends. If you look at the second pic at the post #19 just below the rear window you will understand. Anyway no worries my friend, my ears are wide open for comments.
Terry thanks for the info.
Peter thanks my friend, i am trying to do my best.
You are a great company to be with and a lot of knowledge around here, happy to be with you.

John

Last edited:
Wojtek, there is no way to get you wrong my friend, the main reason that i post my build is that, to hear opinions, comments and any mistakes to be revealed. At which handle are you referring to? I presume something at the port sidewall of the cockpit but i did not understand! Me by saying (probably wrong term) ''handle'' i was referring to the small oval detail at the port fuselage where the rail ends. If you look at the second pic at the post #19 just below the rear window you will understand. Anyway no worries my friend, my ears are wide open for comments.

Oh.. sorry John. I have missled myself. I meant the part marked with the red arrow.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 125
Wojtek, i understood you mean the throttle, i know, the resin was wrong at this point and i tried to replicate the original. Anyway thanks for the note.

John

Good evening guys, after some time (work, exercises, kids,...end of the excuses :D :D ), a small update...
Well i started painting the cockpit with the ACUS09 of the white ensign which it seems, at least to my eyes, accurate enough (i am not the best photographer and the colors are a bit distorted)

P1050401.jpg

P1050405.jpg

cockpit panel...

th_P1050407.jpg
th_P1050408.jpg

Radio, IFF, battery, piloy seat and detailed painting of side panels with the addition of some placards. It was difficult to replicate the original ones but i think that i managed it well, using Archer dry transfers, Mike Grant's cockpit decals as well as some placards from waldron's set for P-51. The black of the cockpit panel is tamiya with the addition of approximately 50% gloss varnish and the detailing black is from citadel, hand brass and unbelievable behavior! The seat has been painted with bronze green, 75 of Humbrol.

th_P1050413.jpg
th_P1050426.jpg
th_P1050435.jpg
th_P1050453.jpg
th_P1050457.jpg

Afterwards, the filters were painted as well as the rear wheel well, the wheels, followed by wash, dry brass, pencils and mig pigments. Finally one light hand of white ensign's satin varnish was sprayed to bond everything together.

P1050496.jpg

P1050542.jpg

P1050504.jpg

P1050523.jpg

th_P1050492.jpg
th_P1050494.jpg
th_P1050500.jpg
th_P1050508.jpg
th_P1050509.jpg
th_P1050512.jpg
th_P1050513.jpg
th_P1050518.jpg
th_P1050522.jpg
th_P1050524.jpg
th_P1050525.jpg
th_P1050527.jpg
th_P1050531.jpg
th_P1050532.jpg
th_P1050533.jpg
th_P1050534.jpg
th_P1050535.jpg
th_P1050536.jpg
th_P1050538.jpg
th_P1050540.jpg

Thats all folks, i will let everything to rest themselves for a couple of days and i will continue assembling all together and closing up the fuselage.
I am waiting for your remarks and comments, ;) ;)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back